Chapter 35

The End

A little breeze flows over your heads as you sit in a circle around the fireplace at Stark's cabin. According to him, you all deserve an overdue vacation and that this was just the start of it. Sitting on Steve's lap you enjoy the company around you, this being the first time in a long while you weren't waiting for the next mission, the next bad guy.

It stopped being mission after mission, fight after fight. You finally felt valid enough to be loved that you're good enough for the people you fight for. you gave your mind, body and soul the break they finally deserved. It felt nice to have a beer in one hand and Steve's hand intertwined with the other. I've been missing out.

"So where are you guys headed?" Wanda asks. After fucking, then making love that went on for hours you and Steve revisited a conversation you had. It felt like it's been years since you've talked about travelling the world together and now it was becoming a reality. "We were thinking somewhere warm," Steve answers, looking at you. You nod your head in agreement looking back at him.

"I heard Tahiti is a magical place this time of year." You smile, looking over Steve's shoulder spotting both Fury and Coulson. "Next time could you please answer your phone." You shrugged your shoulders and gave Phil a smirk. "Payback is a bitch isn't it." He deserved a little taste of his own medicine after he made you go on a wild goose chase way back when.

It felt like a lifetime since you stumbled upon the Avenger's compound and saved their asses. Not that you are willing to say it out loud but Nat was right about this being a family. Dysfunctional. Yes. Loyal. Also yes. You would never admit it though because that would just boost her ego.

"Why are you two here? I don't remember inviting you to our little bonfire night." Stark raises suspicion. "For Y/N to sign this." Coulson hands you a stack of papers. You quickly read over it, signing where needed. You feel Steve trying to get a sneak peek of what it is over your shoulder but you block the majority of his view.

"There you go." Your expression is cheerful. "I never thought I would live to see this day." Fury exclaims, being overly dramatic about something that wasn't a big deal. "Would someone like to fill us in on what's going on?" Nat wonders. It's uncommon for her not to know everyone's business.

"Wait, you don't know. I thought you weren't a part of whatever's going on." Sam adds in. Nat shakes her head as much in the dark as everyone else. At this point, everyone wants to know what exactly was so important that the director and ex-director of SHIELD had to come to the middle of nowhere for you to sign.

"Y/N is no longer an agent of SHIELD." Profanity, exclaims and pleas were all heard. People wanted to know 'why not' and then started to sing your praises. "Is this true, Star." You bite back your smile once you see Steve's concerned face. "Well, I can't be an agent of SHIELD if I'm an Avenger." Eyes widened and jaws dropped but they were silent.

"You're serious?" Nat asks excitedly, unable to mask the joy. "Did you tell them yet?" Clint walks out of his hiding spot at that exact moment holding a cake that says 'Welcome to the Avengers.'He was followed by Laura, the kids, and Pepper, who handled the official Avenger paperwork.

"So you were the one a part of this."

"Guilty. I'm the unofficial official recruiter for the Avengers." Clint fires back at Tony.

After the initial shock surpassed conversation stirred up again. You look around with a smile on your face, realizing that family isn't defined by blood but by those who love you, who would do anything for you. Life is too short to live it alone and you're happy that you'd get to live it with the people in front of you.

"So you're really an Avenger now." Steve grins at you. After months of saying you'll be leaving once the mission is over to staying and actually becoming an avenger. Steve smiles, thinking of asking you to move on with him into one room at the compound. He beams thinking of the future for the first time ever. "Yes. Except for the whole press and interviews and my face being plastered on everything."

Steve wraps his arm around you. A perfect fit, your bodies moulded to fit like puzzle pieces. You know that he is and always will be your light, your home, your safe haven.

You will always be bound to him.