S5 Part 17 - Ruby

Sorry! Not a new update - working on the next chapter I swear but there were some rough typos needing fixing 🤣🤣

"Ruby," Heller extended his arms like they were close friends, "You haven't aged a day."

Ruby's face dropped, very unimpressed. The closer Heller got to her the more anger lines creased in her forehead. She lit a cigarette from her sleeve before speaking.

"Skip the bullshit and tell me why I shouldn't have you removed from my sight," the red woman took a deep inhale and shot the smoke in Heller's direction.

"Come on. You loved me once," he hovered over her desk, "My new master doesn't let me do anything too mean and nasty, so you have nothing to worry about. But we could use your help with a little issue we're having. I think you'll benefit from this as well."

New master? Was he talking about you? Had a nice ring to it. 💁‍♀️

"Ha! You're no tamed beast," she scoffed, but then her eyes fell on you, "Oh, no. You fell in love didn't you? Idiot."

Her long, crimson nails curled, beckoning you toward her. With you and Heller in the room, she should fear you. And yet, you felt as nervous as if you were about to get scolded by Aizawa or something.

"She is lovely," Ruby sighed, "We could make some real money together, dollface."

"Thanks... Money's not really my dilemma," you said, although flattered.

"Money is everyone's problem."

"Fair. We're looking for someone. A few people actually," you added, "But they might be hard to get to."

"Hm," she frowned, "This can't be good."

Heller took over again, "I can tell things have changed and not in your favor, Ruby, and I've only been here a few minutes. You have some dangerous customers don't you?"

"That was always the case, but yes it is true there are more than I'd like." Ruby rubbed the end of her finished cigarette into her bejeweled ashtray. You almost wondered if she was imagining someone's head with how aggressive she was with it.

"We're tracking down some of those customers," you said, hoping to win her over. What was her quirk anyway? Could she sense of you tried to pheromone the room? "Maybe we can help each other?"

Ruby shook her head, "No. You kill someone again and I lose my standing here. Or I'll be killed next."

"I can't kill anyone," Heller looked like he was pouting, "Have you been threatened yet?"

You weren't sure where he was going with this, but Ruby seemed to, and responded with a solemn smile, "Of course. They offered lots of money for my girls. I said no the first time, and the next, and then, my girls were taken anyway. We call them bloodhounds; sniffing around looking to sell and trade, torture and marry, our finest girls. And those god-awful masks."

She paused, "I believe one of their buyers is here now, down the hall. I got the sick feeling in my guts when I saw him. The handsome fellow with yellow eyes, pretty sure he's a k-pop star or something. My girls aren't as careful and weren't entirely distressed about pleasing him... Once a month, the hounds check up on us. I haven't seen their leader's face, but they all call him Midas, probably for his gold mask."

"A quirk like yours," Heller mulled.

Ruby's fingertips extended, or rather, her nails did. As they grew, you noticed that they weren't normal nails at all, but actual gemstones with sharp points.

Ahhh, rubies...
(AN: I'm playing Elden Ring rn and this feels like a message left by a player 😂)

"I worry he's collecting girls and turning them into gold, but not as metaphorically as I do," she smirked, "What business do you have with these clowns anyway?"