Chapter 13:

• Eden's POV •

Hours. It's been hours and no response from Jordan. I haven't told Kennedy that Jordan followed or dm'd me or anything. I didn't want to hurt her. I'd like to think that she would be happy for me but I know that wouldn't be the case. She'd be heartbroken that he was talking to me and not her. Well that's if he continues to talk to me. I didn't want to upset Kennedy if I didn't have to. She was all I had. My mom died of cancer when I was 10. My dad has been dealing with it by working really hard. I guess you could say that we're pretty loaded now. It's been 7 years and my dad still just throws money at me to compensate. He opened a bank account for me and loads it up with money every few weeks in case he's not around to give it to me himself. He doesn't know how to show love anymore. I feel quite distant from him. My only sibling, Evan, graduated from college last year and moved down to Texas with his wife. I've isolated myself from all of the other people at my school when my mom died and I guess I just never got those connections back. I didn't know how to get those connections back. But Kennedy has stuck with me through everything. She's all I have. We've been best friends since second grade. She stuck with me through my mom's death. She's the only one I let help me. I'm not telling her about Jordan. I'm not going to ruin my friendship with her when he isn't even going to respond. It's been 6 hours. Maybe he's just busy. No he's ignoring you. Did you really think he would like you. My mind was having a war with itself. It was 8:12. I decided I would take a short nap. I just needed to shut my brain off for a little while.

"Hey, Eden!" My dad said, just as I was getting ready to climb into bed. He poked his head into my room with a smile.

"Yeah?" I asked. I felt emotionally exhausted.

"Just letting you know that I'll be gone for the next few days, if you need anything, call me. I'll keep your bank account full" he said. He always does this. I'm by myself in this house more often than not.

"Okay" I said and he was gone. I shut off my light and laid down in my bed. Please let me turn myself off for a little while.