Chapter 4

FOUR DID NOT LIKE THIS SITUATION ONE BIT. He wanted to just leave Christina on the floor so he could make sure that Storm would be okay. His mind was conflicted. He barely knew the standoffish initiate. Whenever they interacted she usually just ended up insulting him in some way, but for some reason he just couldn't bring himself to leave her with Eric. He wouldn't do that to any initiate.

There was some dark past between Eric and Storm. A past filled with hatred and hostility. He could see it in both of their eyes.

So instead of following his clear orders he forced Al and Tris, the two closest to Christina, to take her to the infirmary. They did it without hesitation, at least Four hoped they did. He didn't even take time to look back at the three initiates.

Storm held her breath as Eric continued to drag her out of the training room. The rest of the initiates hestiatntly follow him. Though she knew some would secretly rejoice at her punishment.

As the chasm came into view she finally understood what he planned to do. Storm had become a master at masking her emotions; so even though she was filled to the brim with fear, her face remained composed and unbothered.

When he shoved her over the edge of the bridge, only holding onto her with one hand, she was not surprised. The only thing between her and death was Eric's flimsy grip. "Grab the railing. You will hang from the chasm for fifteen minutes. If you complete this task I will forget your act of defiance, if you do not you will be cut."

Fifteen minutes? Are you kidding me? A new look of determination painted her features. She had survived worse than this. Compared to her past, this was a piece of cake.

Storm grabbed the watery railing with one hand and let go of Eric. He stepped back, proud of himself and his work. She forced herself to latch onto the railing. Even though she wanted to prove Eric wrong, she couldn't help that one nagging thought.

What if I just let go?

Would anyone even mourn her? Her family already treated her as dead and she was not blessed with a plentiful group of friends. Some would perhaps be sad for a moment or two, but they would move on with their lives. No one would remember her. No one would care.

If Storm was going to tragically commit suicide she wanted to at least leave a mark on the world before going. And she wouldn't give Eric the satisfaction of being the reason behind her death.

Four pushed his way to the front of the petrified initiates. He didn't necessarily feel bad for Storm but he would feel guilty if she died. Or that's what he told himself.

Eric's attention snapped to Four. The leader appeared as if he was going to say something to him, but he simply smirked. Four was just as powerless as Storm in this situation.  He knew better than to test Eric's authority over something miniscule. The other leaders would side with Eric no matter what.

Besides, Four could tell that Storm was going to persevere. He saw it in her eyes.

The water crashed against the girl's back. It was almost humorous to Storm. She was previously enticed by the sort of challenge the chasm offered, and now she was actually facing that challenge. Though being forced into it took away the fun.

Time slowly went by, each minute feeling longer than the one before. Her grip never faltered, not even when the searing pain began to set in. Storm had to keep reminding herself that everyone was watching. If she showed even the slightest bit of weakness, she would be giving them an advantage over her.

"Fifteen minutes is up," one of the female transfers yelled. Storm could kiss whoever said that. (But in reality she wouldn't).

"Fine," Eric shrugged nonchalantly. The disappointment was evident on his face. Though they were supposed to be on the same side, he would have enjoyed being the one to kick her out of dauntless. "But she has to get up on her own."