Chapter 9

THE TATTOO PARLOR was dimly lit by red and purple hues. Low music played in the background that reminded Storm of an underground night club. Hundreds of designs decorated the walls. Every few feet was a small group of dauntless members intently examining the drawings.

It actually seemed like a cool place to Storm. It wasn't as crowded as some of the other shops in the pit, which she liked. Ember noticed the small smile on Storm's face.

"What do you want to get?" Storm asked as they approached one of the design-filled walls.

"Not sure yet," Ember shrugged.

Though it was the other girl's idea, Storm already had a tattoo in mind. There was a time in her life where she valued another's life before her own. He was the one to put her back together when she shattered. He was the one to hold her up when she felt like collapsing. He was the hope in her life, until he was no longer there. "I'm going to get a snake wrapped around my collar bone."

"Why?" Ember tilted her head to the side.

"I'll tell you afterwards."

Storm made her way over to a woman with dark hair and a river tattoo on her arm. She was tentatively cleaning her tattoo supplies. Storm coughed to get her attention.

"What can I do for you?" The woman asked.

"I want a tattoo."

"Really? I never would've guessed."

Storm bit back an insult and continued her request. "I want a snake wrapped around my right collarbone. With a quote under it."

The woman motioned for Storm to follow her to the back room. "For your collarbone you're gonna have to take your shirt off."

"Can I leave my bra on?" Storm cringed at the thought of anyone seeing her naked.

"Yeah," She nodded while getting her things ready, "just pull off the strap to the side."

Storm uncomfortably sat in the cold metal chair. She carefully took off her long sleeve black shirt. Her confidence faltered for a second as she examined all the scars covering her body, the newest being the ones on her arm. No one had ever seen her so intimately. It's her job. Storm reminded herself.

"What's the quote you want? And what font?"

"The only human who dared to help me even when God refused," her raspy voice responded, "cursive."

"Above or under the snake?"

"Under."

The woman finished in under two hours. The stinging needles flooded Storm's brain with exhilaration. After all the years of torture and abuse, the girl had come to love pain. Even a gunshot, like Four had delivered to her leg, had barely phased her. Pain did nothing but make her feel alive.

Storm walked out of the tattoo shop with a new sense of confidence. The tattoo was bittersweet. It was a mess of sentiment and yearning. It reminded her of her greatest loss, but it also reminded her that he would always be with her.

"I got a flame on my shoulder and a lightning bolt behind my ear," Ember spoke with great liveliness. The smile on her face was brighter than the gates of heaven. So bright, even Storm cracked a grin. "The flame is for dauntless and my name obviously. Ember, ya know?"

Storm intently nodded. It was simple, but she liked it. "The lightning bolt?"

"You first," Ember nudged her shoulder as they walked.

"My brother's name was Drake. It means-"

"Snake. Or dragon. Depending on your interpretation," Ember excitedly cut her off. She missed the was in Storm's statement, but it didn't bother the gray-eyed girl.