Chapter Five

"You could still be what you want to. What you said you were, when I met you

You've got a warm heart. You've got a beautiful brain, but it's disintegrating"

 You've got a beautiful brain, but it's disintegrating"

SHE WAS STUCK IN A ROOM ALONE. Of course she wasn't really alone, that was the worst part.

Tempest had stuck a camera to the neck of Tris, Caleb, and Evelyn. To make sure they were actually doing what she intended, and obviously she was monitoring them on the computer she stole a mere hour before she broke into the factionless compound. In fact, she was so prepared she brought over ten cameras she so expertly swiped. Tempest had planned every last detail down to the wire. She even managed to get her hands on a gun (though she didn't really need it). Nothing was going to stop her. She was done with being played.

But Tobias, while she was an expert in killing, he was an expert in pissing her off. In all his infuriating audacity, he refused to put the camera on, much less leave the room. No. He was going to sit in the chair next to her, just to see her squirm.

So there he sat, his stone-cold eyes never leaving her.

Tempest sighed with disdain, finally looking his way. She pointed to his jaw. "Nice bruise. I was worried my left hook was getting weak, but clearly I still got it."

The worst part about it? He was refusing to talk. Tobias wouldn't utter a word to her in the last 10 minutes; he preferred to stare.

"So why did you insist on staying with me if you weren't going to talk? I mean, come on, give me something. Scream at me, hit me, whatever it takes for you to stop staring at me like that."

Tobias made no effort to speak, he didn't even move a muscle.

"Seriously?! The silent treatment? Fine. I guess we are going to sit here in silence."

This time he shrugged. He leaned back into the chair, crossing his arms with resolve. Tempest glared at him. She mimicked his movements (still keeping her finger latched onto the trigger). The two engaged in a staring contest. Neither of them seemed to be giving up any time soon. Tempest took advantage of this moment of silence to examine his features. He looked tired, the bags under his eyes being a dark shade of purple. She supposed that could also be the bruises. Either way, it was annoying how he still managed to look good.

The silence lasted about a minute before Tempest couldn't take it any longer.

"You know, I'm normally a fan of the quiet. Being raised by my mother, there were very few silent moments in my life. But from you? I don't like it. It's cruel."

"Oh really?" He finally broke his silent vow, letting the sarcasm drip into his low voice. "You're the one who's killed over 100 people, and you nearly broke every bone in my face. Yet I'm cruel for not speaking to you? You were always ruthless, Storm, but I never pegged you for delusional."