Chapter 16

"Acting on your best behavior, turn your back on Mother Nature."

STORM WAS NO LONGER PLAGUED BY MEMORIES OF HER ABUSE OR TRAUMA, but rather by the possibility of Eric and Jeanine finding out her dirty secret. The simulations got easier and easier, to the point where she could finish them in nearly a minute only after two days. Storm's first-place rank was followed by Tris, who managed to climb her way up.

What Storm was more concerned about was her red-head friend. Like Tris, Ember made it all the way up into the top 3. Her time stayed a consistent four minutes. Storm didn't want to face the possibility of her only friend being divergent. That terrified her to her very core. Though deep down, Storm already knew the truth.

"Status report?" Max sat in his chair with his folded hands placed firmly on the desk.

"I have potential suspects but nothing concrete yet. It's only the third day," Storm responded robotically. Most of that was a lie, she already knew who was divergent and who wasn't. It was insanely easy to tell. Those idiots could never outrun her extensive training. She almost felt bad for them, they were small, weak prey in a pool of giant predators. Not to mention, almost all of them didn't even know they were being hunted.

"You have some very impressive scores yourself," Eric chimed in from the corner of the room. His eyes carried a great amount of suspicion.

Storm turned her attention to him with narrow eyes, "I am not tainted like those disposable scum. I have a small number of fears and have been training for this my entire life. I would be disappointed if my score was anything less than perfect. I'm sure you would both be as well."

Her convincing tone caused Max to smirk with approval. Even Eric nodded in belief. The creation they had forged was totally loyal to their cause, or so they thought.

"Very good," Max nodded his head, "who are your suspects?"

"Tris, but her's could also be because of her limited fears. Though I'm not ruling her out. The others are Ember and Uriah," Storm let the red-head's name slip. It was another way to eliminate herself from suspicions, but she also had a plan. Storm would have never given up her best friend's name unless she had a way to keep her safe. "I can get Ember to tell me. It just may take time because she's so stubborn."

Eric walked over to the grey-eyed girl and placed his firm hand onto her shoulder. "It's nice to see you're back on track."

Storm kept her focus straight, but she wanted to slice off his hand and make him eat it.

But she couldn't do that, not yet.

"When you are sure, give us your findings. Then take them out. You dispose of the body and we will cover with the suicide story," Max explained.

"Yes sir."

"You need to be very carefully moving forward," Max said as he leaned forward. It was ironic, Four said those exact words to her yet they meant a completely different thing coming out of his mouth. "If you do what we say and fulfill your mission you will be set up nicely, with lots of power to enforce on others. You will still answer to us but we will give you the opportunity to live your own life. You will be free."

Storm had to admit that offer was very tempting. But she knew better than to listen to Max's empty promise

As long as they were alive, she would never be free. And now that she knew the truth about herself, Storm had absolutely nothing to lose.

A rebellion was forming, and Storm was starting to rethink her position.

**