Chapter 35

"Me and the devil, walking side by side."

TEMPEST MATTHEWS WAS GOING TO KILL her mother. It didn't matter how long it was going to take, it didn't matter if it cost her her own. As long as that woman was dead she could live (or die) in peace.

The young girl was never scared of death. She had been tiptoeing over the line of life and death for years now. She had danced with the grim reaper himself. She had felt his cold touch. Tempest had learned a long time ago that fearing her death would do her no good in the long run; everyone was going to die at some point. Tempest, in all her worst atrocities, intended to deserve it.

And she did. Tempest deserved to die in the worst way possible, someway that would atone for all the innocent lives she took willingly. It didn't matter to her how, when, or why. Just that it would come eventually, that there would be a day she would be forced to confront what she was.

She didn't know if that day was here. All she could focus on was the two innocent people in the control room she had to protect.

Tobias and Tris didn't deserve to die.

Tempest lightly pushed the boy away, stepping in front of both him and the disorientated girl. The latter had begun to stir with a loud groan.

Good. The soldier thought. They were going to need as much help as they could get.

The dauntless guards started to surround the trio. There were seven that Tempest could see. She could take out five on her own without breaking a sweat, but Tobias and Tris were severely injured. Their bodies were littered with bruises, broken bones, and bullet holes. Half of which were by her own hand.

"Now you're the one underestimating me," Tempest confidently stood. She held her arm out in front of Tobias to keep him from moving. He needed a moment to collect himself.

"I'm bored of this," Jeanine rolled her eyes, "kill me and the rest of these dauntless guards. Get it over with."

Deep down inside, there was something in Jeanine that truly believed her daughter would not kill her. She could threaten all she wanted, imagine the most brutal way to kill. But there was a difference between doing and dreaming. That was a line Jeanine was sure her daughter was not capable of.

"If you say so."

Tobias lept towards Tris, helping her shaking figure to her feet. He hoped she could muster enough strength to fight off one guard.

Tempest examined the men and women in front of her, deciding which victim to choose first. It didn't truly matter though, they were all going to die anyway.

She drove her first through the first man that charged her. Before he could collapse, Tempest wrapped her forearm around his throat.

"If you don't fight it will be less painful," she whispered in the man's ear. He shook under her strong touch but with a simple thrust of her knee into the sweet spot in his back, his body quickly went limp. She let his body collapse to the ground with a loud thud.

One dead.

Hearing the rushing footsteps behind her, Tempest turned around and delivered a strong kick to another's ribs. He collapsed to the ground with a loud scream to pair with the sickening crack of his ribs. While she was advancing on the crumpled man, another soldier ripped her back by her hair. Simultaneously, one of the women sent a bullet straight through her shoulder.