Chapter Two

"Now I am the violence. I am the sickness.

Won't accept your silence. Beg me for forgiveness"

TOBIAS DREAMT OF HER EVERY NIGHT

TOBIAS DREAMT OF HER EVERY NIGHT. He saw her every time he closed his eyes; her beautiful, haunting face never left him. She seemed to follow him everywhere, never leaving his troubled side. The only thing his mind could seem to think about was her cold, gray eyes. It tortured him to no end. Despite it all, he couldn't get rid of his love for her; it echoed in his chest and he felt it with every last breath.

Tobias had tried everything to forget her. He forced himself to read every news report, listen to every radio broadcast, and look at every crime scene photo that was released. He had hoped that seeing everything she had so savagely done would make him hate her, but all he saw was her pain, her anguish. And yet the man found himself only caring for her more.It was sick and twisted, so much so Tobias wasn't even so what was worse anymore: her crimes, or the fact that he continued to love her through every heinous act.

The girl wasn't dead, but selfishly, Tobias wished she was. If Storm was dead, the agony of her betrayal would have hurt less. But she had willingly left him behind, continuing to walk this earth, knowing that he was waiting for her. It was the cruelest thing she could do to him.

The only thing that gave him solace, coincidentally, was Ember's grave. Over the weeks he spent almost every morning just staring into the fields of amity where her memorial resided. It reminded Tobias that there was still something good left in Storm, something left worth saving. Ember saw it and fought for it to her very dying breath. She wouldn't give up on Storm so easily, and neither will he. The redhead wasn't here to fight any longer; Tobias would have to do it for her and all the other lives lost.

"She will be executed once she's caught," Tris Prior's voice broke him out of a trance, "it doesn't matter who catches her. Every faction will be in agreement."

Tris was at the colorful grave more than him, and that was saying something. Every free moment she got, the abnegation girl was quietly residing in the wide fields of amity. She had wanted to make a similar grave for her parents, but couldn't find the strength to do so. Instead she mourned them all together, she mourned the life she once had.

"I won't let that happen," Tobias shook his head.

Tris understood why Storm felt the need to seek revenge. The urge was in her as well. But no matter what, the girl could not justify all of the innocents being murdered in cold blood. Above all Tris was still abnegation.

"We have to protect her," his voice broke, "I know she's a good person. She was pushed to this."

This time, Tris remained silent. She placed a delicate hand on his shoulder. She wanted to say something, anything, to comfort him. But there were no words in any language that could do that. They both knew she was not a good person, but she let the man remain in denial. It was the only thing left keeping him going.