Chapter 13

"Never get free, lamb to the slaughter. Whatcha gon do when there's blood in the water. The price of your greed is your son and your daughter."

STORM WOKE UP SCREAMING for her dead brother. It took her a total of 3 minutes and 42 seconds to snap back into reality. As bright lights blinded her vision, her head throbbed in sync with her every heartbeat. She felt an unknown hand tightly squeezing her own. It was the only sense of comfort she had in the moment.

"Drake," her broken and cracked voice finally whispered. Even though the flashback reminded Storm of one of her most terrifying moments, it was still better than her current reality; simply because when she was asleep Drake was alive, now he was not. That was the bitter truth of the situation.

"Storm," a familiar voice called out to her. "Hey it's me. It's me, you're okay."

The girl gazed over to the person sitting beside her. Ember's tangled red hair was tied back into a messy ponytail; though what stood out to Storm was the enlarged dark circles under her eyes. Ember had always looked youthful and pretty, but now? Now she looked broken and defeated.

"What are you doing here?" Storm's voice was drenched in hatred. Ember had chosen Tris and all the others over her, in her twisted brain it did not make sense why the redhead would be here to comfort her.

"You walked into the dorm looking like a zombie with blood dripping down your head. I-I thought you were about to die. You're so god damn lucky you only have minor injures! I mean what the hell hap-"

"What. Are. You. Doing. Here?"

Ember blinked in surprise. Was her intent not clear? Did Storm still not get how much she cared for her. "What do you mean?"

"I mean you fucking ignored me after the fight, went to hang out with your new buddies. You chose your side. Our friendship is done," Storm spat angrily.

"What?!" Ember stood up and released the girl's hand. "I didn't choose them over you. I was upset, and I had a right to be! That fight? I know you Storm. I saw the look in your eyes. You scared me. And I know you have been keeping something from me, I'm not an idiot."

The grey-eyed girl snapped her body forward despite the immense pain she felt. "So? What does that even have to do with you! Other than you being a fucking pussy that can't mind her own business?"

Ember clenched her jaw and looked to the ground. Her voice became a fragile whisper. "I didn't come here to fight Storm. I was worried about you and I wanted to make sure you were okay. You know you don't have to be such a bitch all the time. All I have ever wanted to do was to help you."

For once, Storm had nothing to say. The look on her friend's face broke her heart. She was right, and Storm knew it. The cold girl was forced to realize the effect she had on those around her. She was like a toxic disease that latched onto unsuspecting victims and sucked every last bit of life out of them. She was becoming far worse than Eric or Max, she was becoming her mother.

"I don't know why I'm like this," she forced the quiet words out of her mouth, pushing down her pride. At first Ember thought she was hearing things. " And if I could be different, I promise you I would."

Ember's mouth opened slightly, that was the closest thing to an apology Storm had ever given her. It hurt to see her friend in so much pain, but it would be easier to understand if  she knew why. Though Ember knew prying would get her nowhere. Storm would eventually tell her, just not yet; the redhead was willing to wait.

"Okay let's get you out of this depressing place," Ember spoke up after a few minutes. She decided the fight wasn't worth it, and so did Storm. "The nurse said you just need to keep a bandage on your head for a day and ones along your ribs."