Chapter 24

"If this is my last night with you, hold me like I'm more than just a friend. Give me a memory I can use. Take me by the hand while we do what lovers do. It matters how this ends, 'cause what if I never love again?"

TOBIAS HELD STORM'S HAND like his life depended on it. He was terrified that she might try to slip away, that this was all just a dream and she never went through the simulation with him. He wasn't going to let go of the only person in the world that understood him. Not after how hard he fought to gain her trust.

"Where are we going?" Storm struggled to keep up with the quick pace. He seemed to be almost excited to show her something. It was rare to see Tobias in such an honest state.  His walls were up 24/7, making it quite difficult to see any kind of emotion from him. Though the very same could apply to the gray-eyed girl.

"It's where I go to think. No cameras, and the chasm drowns out the sound so no one can hear you," Tobias answered as he continued walking through the pit. "It's peaceful."

"Sounds like you're bringing me to the perfect murder spot."

"Must you always be so negative?" He let out a small laugh. The two walked down a narrow path of the pit. It was difficult to see the walkway at first glance because it blended in with the wall. The path led to the rocks at the bottom of the chasm.

Tobias steered her through the angular rocks, his shoes clinging to the damp stone. Storm followed his every step. It terrified her just how far she would follow him without any explanation. In her entire wretched life, she had never trusted anyone more than the man in front of her. She was unsure whether that was a cause for celebration, or for tears.

He eventually sat to rest on a large flat rock, just inches above the treacherous waters. Storm carefully lowered herself to his level as she allowed her legs to swing over the edge.

"I brought you here for two purposes-"

"To fuck or kill? Or, maybe both I guess," Storm quickly cut him off with a sarcastic joke.

"Wow," Tobias blinked. "That was unexpected and slightly uncomfortable."

"The killing or us fucking part?" The dark-haired girl teased him. He was rather easy to rile up, and she always enjoyed his reaction.

His cheeks turned a slight shade of pink. Those were two words you didn't hear everyday in abnegation. It was a rare sight to see the instructor embarrassed. Storm mockingly poked his cheek. "You still got some stiff in you Tobias."

The man swatted her hand away and glared at her. "How hard is it to be serious for just a few seconds?"

"It physically hurts my heart," Storm patted her chest. She eventually sighed and gave in after Tobias continued to glare at her. "Fine. Hit me. What do you want to say?"

Tobias let out a deep, dramatic sigh that left Storm feeling uneasy.

"For starters, I know Ember isn't dead. You faked her death and helped her escape the leaders because she's divergent."

The silence before the outburst was chilling; it seemed even the roaring waves paused for a minute to listen. A grave look took over Storm's features.

"How the fuck," she trailed off in both annoyance and amazment. Eric, Max, and even her mother couldn't figure it out. So how the hell did the dauntless instructor find out before them? She sorely underestimated the amount of intelligence Tobias held. "Did she tell-"

Then, Storm quickly realized her mistake.

Tobias smirked, his eyes twinkling with satisfaction. "I actually didn't, but your reaction just confirmed my suspicions. So thank you for that."