Chapter Eight

"You're free to leave me, just don't deceive me."

✰

✰.。.✵°✵.•✵.。.✰

THE FACTIONLESS COMPOUND was quite impressive, considering the lack of materials they had to work with. It borderline functional; a messy, large maze with its very own halls and rooms. It reminded her of a run-down version of Dauntless. The place was nostalgic to say the least.

Storm fiddled with her food. Where the quality had gone to the building of the compound, it lacked in food. Though she supposed that made sense, they were technically homeless after all. The food seemed to be a mush of potatoes, dried meat, and an unknown substance she couldn't describe. "Are we sure this isn't expired?"

Rey giggled as she stuffed her face. "This food isn't much different from the meals in abnegation. It's actually better in some ways.

"That's disgusting," Storm remarked as she watched the girl eat. It was clear that maybe she hadn't eaten in a few days, and her body was rather frail. With an eye roll, she shoved her plate over to her. "Feel free."

The girl flashed her a sweet smile, gladly taking the extra plate of food. "So. Storm, can you braid hair?"

The assassin glared with as much annoyance as she could possibly muster. She didn't like where this conversation was going. "No."

"But your hair is in two french braids right now," Rey grumbled in between her gulps of food.

"Tob-uh, Four, does it for me," Storm lied through her teeth. She felt a twinge of guilt, lying to a child, but it felt necessary. She would rather chop off her arm than sit in a braid circle. It was stupid, childish, and-

"I do not!" Tobias emerged from the background, sliding onto the bench next to his girl. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders with a small smirk.

"You're a bad liar," Rey laughed as she placed her utensils down on the table.

"And where the hell did you go?" Storm smacked his chest and slightly lowered her voice. He leaned in, gently kissing the side of her neck. "I can't believe you left me on babysitting duty."

"I'm fourteen-"

"Huh? I thought you were like eleven," the older girl admitted with a shrug.

"Fucking bitch," Rey mumbled.

"Children shouldn't curse."

"Eat shit."

"I, of all people, am not above murdering a child you little sh-."