36 ━ To Be a Yamanaka

thirty-six, To Be a Yamanaka

AIKAWA KATSUHI WAS A MAN WHO WAS CONSIDERED TO BE ONE OF THE WISEST MENTORS THE BARRIER TEAM HAD TO OFFER

AIKAWA KATSUHI WAS A MAN WHO WAS CONSIDERED TO BE ONE OF THE WISEST MENTORS THE BARRIER TEAM HAD TO OFFER. With a sharp gaze and just as tuned-in perception, there was barely anything that escaped the man's notice, not even bugs as minuscule as they could come were safe.

"You need to sharpen your sensory skills further, Izumi. They aren't your strong point," told her Aikawa, sharp gaze focused on her. "For a Yamanaka especially, they are vital."

During their training session, Izumi had found herself making mistakes several times, mistakes that could, if to happen in a real apprehension, either result in her getting injured or even endanger her life. When the clones of Aikawa-san had sneaked up on her, she had missed detecting one several times, the real Aikawa then taking his chance to hit her over the head, often enough making her fall to her knees as a result.

"Careful," He had told her. "Danger lurks in every corner."

Again and again, she had tried, only to then fail another time. "It is common for a sensory ninja to sometimes be unable to detect one presence," He said. "That doesn't mean it should happen."

The back of her head throbbed uncomfortably so from every hit Izumi had taken so far as she stood in the middle of the room again, cerulean eyes carefully inspecting everything in her line of vision. From one moment to the next, her entire perception could change, after all. At the same time, she also focused on the various chakra presences in the room, some masked to a point where they were barely a whiff while others were out in the open, easy to find. Izumi's goal was to be able to detect even the smallest hint of a signature, even when it was as small as a speck of dust was.

"While they aren't horrible, they aren't perfectly honed either. I would recommend you would improve upon them."

Izumi nodded, making a mental note about what he had told her. "Thank you for the suggestion, Aikawa-san."

Aikawa looked back at her, his lips twisted into a sharp expression. "I expect you to act upon it, Izumi." His words held a demand in them, making it obvious that it was not an offer he made to her.