Page 9

The bonfires from the previous night are barely burning, the smoke still visible in the morning haze though. It's very early in the morning as Michael and I park our bikes, he and Sam rent surf boards and wetsuits as I follow along doing the same to not be left alone with the buzzards.

Michael's carrying his board under his arm as Sam drags his behind him, I watch on my own board beneath my arm. "Do I have to do this?" I shook my head when he looked at me, "Come on, Sam, you know before there were malls there was, like the ocean." Michael may have been athletic but he was a dumb athlete, "Michael want's to impress people Sam, just go with it till he get's embarrassed.

Michael yearns to "master" the art of Surfing, it doesn't take him too long to get the hang of it in a sense, I had watched enough surfing competitions to understand the mechanics so I was the one designated to teach. Sam isn't much of a disaster, however, he settles for watching Michael and I along with the huge Santa Carla Seals who seem to applaud Michael and I. Even going as far as to bark their supposed laughter when Michael wipes out due to the Surf Nazis who surf right past him. "My beach, my wave, dude." I watched Michael wipe out as the Seals applauded the action.

We headed in after that, it was our mom's first day on the job and our first day navigating. We decided, I decided for the lot of us that we'd go up to see mom and accompany her for a few minutes. We parked outside the shop, Sam and I hopping off as Our mother came outside after seeing us through the window, "See you later." I looked back at Michael, annoyed instantly as he gunned his engine, "I get off in another twenty minutes. I thought maybe we'd all get a bite together." He shook his head as I tilted my own, "I'll pass." With that, Michael peeled off leaving us to look after him, mom was upset as Sam gave her a pat. "Forget him, he's trying to fit in with that girl mom," I looked back at her with softer eyes, "so, pizza?"