A Wedding and A Shadow

When we got to the hotel, the bridegroom was accompanying the bride in the dressing room. The groom, Zhai Jie, met me at a dinner before. He is an alumnus from my school, working in the pathology laboratory and the bride in the pharmacy department.

The bridegroom joked: "Ah, asking Gu Wei to be the best man is really smashing my own sign board. At that time, someone would take a picture and posted it on the internet. When sees the best man, the bride would regret it."

The bride with her head on one side smiled and said nothing, but looked at me up and down twice.

Gu Wei is going to welcome the guests at the door with the newlyweds, so I went out of the dressing room to help Chen Cong with the candy.
[It's a custom to give everyone candies at festivities/if something good happened to spread the good fortune. ]

"Sister-in-law, when will you have your wedding party?"

I looked up at the hall full of flowers, as if I had never thought about this problem.

"You can start thinking about it." Chen Cong said with a smile, "such a nice man, hurry up so that you won't have to only dream about it at night."

I laughed and suddenly felt a little strange.

Half of the people at the table I was sitting at was Gu Wei's colleagues, and I was inevitably teased. Everyone was chatting happily when the light in the hall suddenly dimmed, and the MC took the stage. I subconsciously looked at the door, only to see the silhouette of Gu Wei who disappeared in a hurry. When the bride and groom took the stage, Gu Wei came out of the small door on the side of the stage and looked in the dark.

Gu Wei's eyes glanced at us from afar, swung around, and returned to the stage with an expressionless face.

I asked Chen Cong in a low voice, "What's the matter?"

He and the head nurse looked at each other and shook his head faintly: "It's fine."

On the stage, the bride and groom are showing their loyalty to each other with the cheers of the crowd. In the shadow of the stage, Gu Wei cupped his chin, his mouth pursed up, and his face was dimly lit by the lights. I couldn't see his expressions clearly, which made me feeling something wrong for no reason. This kind of odd thing is especially obvious when the bride and groom toasted our table.

Gu Wei obviously drank his wine and his eyes were watery. The parents of Chen Cong and Zhai Jie were already familiar with each other. As soon as a newcomer came over, he stopped him: "When you get to this table; Is it reasonable for you to just leave after one drink?"

Zhai Jie glanced at him and said, "What do you want to drink?"

I was wondering why the bridegroom was so obedient. Gu Wei stood next to me quietly.

I looked at his red ears and asked in a low voice, "did you eat something to cushion your stomach first?"

Gu Wei picked up half pumpkin pie from my bowl and put it into his mouth: "No."

He emptied my bowl while Chen Cong was spouting long toasts.

"Hey, what's the best man doing?" Called Bai Mianjun from the opposite side.

Gu Wei walks back to the groom.

"If you leave your post, you'll be fined with a drink." Bai Mianjun would not back off.

And then-

"Come on, he's had enough."

"Oh, bridesmaid still cares."

Gu Wei's face became cold.

Chen Cong: "Do you punish those who leave their posts without permission?"