Absolutely shucking not

I finished up with planting the new batch of tomatoes. They were Newts favorite plant in the whole gardens, so I had to do them perfectly otherwise he'd be upset. However, I was certain I did a pretty good job so I rinsed my soil-caked hands off and went to see Minho and Thomas in the map room. After every day in the maze they go there to share information along with the other runners, but they usually stay a little longer.

I went over and slipped inside without anyone noticing "Hey Min, hi Tommy"

"Y/n you know fine well you're not supposed to be in here" Minho reminded me "Alby would kill me"

"I know, but if I could be a runner then I would be"

"Yeah, well one major thing stopping you there" Thomas said.

"Newt" I sighed.

He shrugged and started putting the maps away in the box.

"It's not fair, he won't even let me trial for it, why doesn't he want me to be a runner so bad?"

"I think you'll have to figure that one out on your own"

I spotted Newt over by the kitchens, so I went over behind him and placed my hands over his eyes "Guess who"

"Hmmm let me think... Gally?" He said.

I wacked him on the side of his head " Hey!"

"Jesus love I was only joking, I know it's you" He turned to face me, rubbing his head where I had slapped him "What you want?"

"Well, I was talking with Minho and Thomas and I was wondering if you'd at least let me try to be a runner"

"Absolutely shucking not"

"But Newt!" I whined.

"Nope. No. Not a chance. Forget it"

"Why? You let Thomas be a runner"

"Thomas killed a griever"

"So? I'm much faster than Thomas, and more agile. Plus I'm way more observant, please Newt"

"Love I've already told you, you're not being a runner"

"But I'm perfect for it! Why not?"

"Because I- ugh- I don't want you bloody getting hurt ok?"

"I won't Newt, I'll have Tommy and Minho to protect me"

"No, that's final" He wandered off.

It was late, and pitch black, all expect for the huge, burning bonfire in the middle if the glade. Newt was sitting by himself on the floor, with a bottle of moonshine in hand. I went over to him and sat down next to him.

"No" He said.

"I didn't even say anything!"

"Exactly, I'm telling you my answer before you get the chance to ask the question you've already asked a thousand times"

I folded my arms in a huff " I wasnt going to ask, maybe I just wanted to talk to you, but since you clearly don't want me here-" I got up but he pulled me back down.

"I never said I didn't want to talk to you love, come on" He chuckled.

I sighed "Well since you brought up the topic, why won't you let me be a runner?"

He opened his mouth to speak, but I interrupted quickly.

"And the truth"

"The truth?" He raised his eyebrows.

I nodded, and he leaned back a bit, taking a deep inhale.

"The truth is, I don't want you being a runner because I care about you and I don't want you getting hurt. I think you forget, I was runner once and I know what it's like out there"

"Minho and Thomas care about me, but they don't want to stop me going out into the maze"

He tilted his head, locking eyes with mine "Not the same way I do love"

Then it clicked. All of a sudden, realisation rushed through me and I felt a slight heat rise to my cheeks. My stomach dropped, and ached with a feeling of butterflies.

He kept looking at me, the same why he always did, except this time, with a clearer insight, it was different. My heart was beating so fast in my chest I thought he could hear it.

He leaned foward, and gently kissed me on the lips. I didn't pull away as he  cupped my cheek in his hand and pulled me closer to him, moving our lips together rhythmically. Nothing could have felt more wonderful. When we broke apart for air, his hand moved up to my hair.

"I don't want to loose you love"

"You could never loose me"