Star gazing

There was a bonfire tonight to celebrate the arrival of another Greenie. The huge, blazing flames lit up the surrounding area of the glade, spreading warmth. People stood around, talking, eating, and drinking, and I sat by the fire alone.

Bored, I tipped the remains of my drink onto the grass and wandered away from the bonfire, the darkness consuming me as I walked further and further away. I layed down on the grass, on my back, looking up at the stars shining from above, making notes of the different constellations in my head.

"What are you doing down there?" I looked to my left to see Newt stood with his hands in his pockets, looking down at me with a confused expression.

"Star gazing." I said.

He looked up at the sky, then layed down beside me. I felt his arm brush against mine, and I got comfortable, looking up at the stars.

"They're beautiful, aren't they?" I gazed above, taking it all in.

"Yeah, beautiful."

I turned my head to look at him, and he was staring right at me. A faint blush spread across my cheeks, and I hoped the darkness made it difficult for him to see it. "What?"

"Nothing." He looked up again.

I continued looking at the stars, starting to feel a little cold. Goosebumps formed on my skin. Or maybe that was because I could feel Newt's hand lightly brushing against mine, and it seemed purposeful.

I felt myself breathing heavily and quickly sat up. "I'm gonna go to bed now." I got to my feet and started making my way towards the homestead.

"Wait!" He ran after me and cursed under my breath. He ran in front of me, forcing me to stop. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No. I'm just tired."

I went to walk away again, but this time, he put his hands on both my shoulders, and the contact made my stomach fluttered. "Y/n, listen. I know it's not just me who feels something going on between us."

I tried to force my heavy breaths to slow down, but I couldn't. Not when I knew what he was about to say.

"I like you. I have for a while, and I'd regret not saying it before I had the chance, so here it is. I really like you, Y/n."

My heart was racing so fast that I could barely speak. "You, do?"

He moved closer, leaning forward, and I felt his warm breath on my face. I couldn't believe this was happening. The whole world seemed to slow around me. His lips reached mine at the same time his hand reached my face, pulling me in for slow, tender kiss.

Then he pulled away, and even though it was dark, I could see his smile, and no doubt he could see mine.