Isn't it obvious?

I tied the tomato plants around the fences to keep them upright. It was important that they were supported. Otherwise, they wouldn't grow properly, and we needed enough food for everyone in the glade.

While I was working, I was chatting to Zart and Thomas, who wasn't running the maze today. Zart was telling us about something that happened yesterday.

"And then, he fell straight into the pond!" He chuckled so hard he keeled over, holding his stomach.

"I would've paid millions to see that." I smiled.

"How's everything going?" Newt walked over, folding his arms. I saw Thomas and Zart exchange a funny look before focusing on their work. Confused, I didn't think much of it.

"As it always does." I shrugged.

He nodded. "Good that. You should make those tighter, or they'll come loose." He pointed to my ties.

I looked back at my work. It looked fine to me. He came over and went to adjust them, brushing my hand as he did. Thomas and Zart were wheezing in the corner, and I shot them a confused look.

"See?" Newt looked at me.

I pulled my eyes away from the cackling duo, back to Newt. "Huh?"

"They're supposed to be like that."

"Oh, yeah, right..." I furrowed my brows, staring it it. There seemed to be no difference, but I smiled at him anyway. "Thanks."

"No problem." He walked off.

Zart and Thomas immediately started chuckling again.

"What's so funny?" I flapped my arms in question.

"I mean, isn't it obvious?" Thomas said.

I squinted my eyes, still not understanding what he was hinting at.

"He likes you." Zart blurted out.

I burst out laughing. "Newt? Likes me? Good one, guys."

"Seriously, Y/n, he's into you. That's why he keeps finding random excuses to talk to you."

My smile slowly faded as I thought about it. It was a little random for him to do that. The ties on the tomato s were exactly the same as I did them. "That can't be true... right?"

"Pay extra close attention to the way he acts around you today." Thomas explained."See for yourself."

Thomas and Zarts' words stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Suddenly, every conversation and conformation I had with Newt seemed to play out differently in my head. Looking back on them with a different angle, I noticed things I hadn't before.

At dinner, I sat with everyone, and Newt came over. Thomas winked at me, so I rolled my eyes back at him, sticking my toungue out. There were quite a few empty seats, but Newt sat down next to me.

I focused on eating my food and listening to Minho talking about his run in the maze today. But I couldn't t focus when Newts arm was brushing against mine. The hairs on my arms stood up at the touch of his skin. Maybe it was coincidental?

Then his hand went up to my cheek, his finger gently brushing down my face. I turned to him, taken aback.

"You had an eyelash on your cheek." He said, continuing to eat his food.

Thomas smirked at me, and I downed the rest of my drink, walking back over to the kitchen to hand my plate back to Fry. Once I did, Thomas came over with his own plate, and I stopped him. "Was there actually an eyelash on my cheek?"

He chuckled, handing his plate over to Fry.

"I'm serious, Thomas. Was there?"

"No, Y/n, there wasn't." He raised his eyebrows quickly in a suggestive manner before wandering off to the homestead.

"Fuck." I cursed to myself. Why else would he do that unless he was flirting? If he was flirting that would mean... Thomas and Zart were right.

I decided to settle this whole thing, and approach Newt. That was the only thing left to do. Marching across the glade to his hut, I took a deep breath and knocked on his door.

It swung open, and Newt was stood in his normal pants and orange vest "Hey, you o-"

"Do you like me?" I blurted it out.

"I-" He croaked, his mouth wide open.

"I mean, like, do you have feelings for me? Because Thomas and Zart have been insiting that you do and it's driving me crazy, so I wanted to know-"

"Yes."

I paused "What?"

"I do. I have feelings for you. I have for a while, I just haven't worked up the courage to say anything."

My own jaw dropped, and I closed it, swallowing hard, trying to comprehend what he just said.

"It's ok if you don't feel the same."

I took his face in my hands and kissed him. He didn't kiss back at first, then he sunk into it, pulling me in by my waist. Pulling back, I looked into his eyes. "I do."