eight: when a haori begins building the bridge

-♡-

amata smiles nervously and nods. "thank you, tokito-san. i'll be going now."

she turns to walk away, moving slower than her panic-filled run from earlier. she carefully steps between at the sticks and leaves on the balls of her feet, ignoring the fact that her socks are horribly dirty and need to be washed almost immediately.

she'll do that instead of train, considering muichiro is already using the area.

"did you want to train?"

amata stops, balancing on one foot as she turns a head to muichiro's blank eyes- eyes that ignore her and stare up to the sun.

"nope! i'll just train with rengoku-sama." she nods.

"you can share the area, y'know." muichiro says. "i'm not going to kill you."

amata chuckles. "well, i guess that's a reassurance. but, i promised i wouldn't bother you anymore. i need to start upholding that promise." she nods.

"actually," muichir turns to her.

"you said you would leave me alone if i didn't snitch."

amata's lips part as she recalls the encounter, realizing the boy is right. she begged him to close the lid, to drop her, to not let daisuke get her. and, as payment, she would never bother him again.

except, he never held up his end of the bargain. in fact, he never even made the deal.

"you're right." she says softly. he turns around and begins walking over to his sword before picking it up.

"well?" he beckons. "are you gonna get a sword and shoes, or just stand around, looking like a flamingo?"

"r-right!"

-♡-

"oh my goodness! he invited you to train with him?! i told you he doesn't hate you!"

"well, maybe he doesn't hate me anymore!" amata shrugs as she desperately searches for her zori. "i mean, i-i don't know what changed!"

mitsuri runs forward in her pink-and-white floral kimono with amata's sandals, relieving the younger girl. she quickly puts them on and secures her sword before pecking her sister on the cheek and running off.

"are we thinking of baby names?!" mitsuri jokingly calls back.

amata giggles as she turns the corners, happily running back to the forest. she hops over the gate once more slows down, straightening out her hair and shirt before muichiro comes into sight.

"what shape is that cloud?"

she follows where his small finger points as she gazes up to the sky, finding only two clouds, one obviously in the shape of a cat and the other more like a lump of pudding.

"a kitty-cat."

"why do you say it like that?"

amata shrugs awkwardly. "just always called 'em kitty-cats." she pouts. muichiro nods once in response before standing up.