twenty: tanjiro kamado and the demon

-♡-

"AMATA-SAN? CAN YOU COME HERE FOR A MINUTE?"

amata drops her broom and waddles into the kitchen, where muichiro has paused his mopping and holds the blue gift box.

"i can't open it." he frowns.

amata takes it from his hands and gently unties the bow. once the strands go free, she passes the box back to open it.

inside, a little round doll with a seemingly angry face lies.

"it's a daruma doll!" amata explains.

"oh. i remember what these are." muichiro nods.

"i decided to get an unpainted one. that way, you can choose any color want depending on your wish!" amata says, throwing her hands in the air.

muichiro nods and looks at her.

"thank you. you don't have to clean, y'know." he adds.

"oh, nonsense." amata waves. "who else is gonna make sure this place isn't a dust bowl? you?"

muichiro stares at her before raising an eyebrow and looking away with a shrug, knowing amata is right. she stands up and resumes sweeping, allowing the boy to disappear with the doll in a little room to paint it the color of his choice.

he smiles as he does so.

-♡-

"amata-san? amata-"

muichiro stops when he sees amata asleep on the floor. one hand curls around the floor and she other curls close to her face as she softly sleeps.

muichiro quietly takes the broom from her and sets it aside. he then takes a small, blue blanket and gently covers her with it before looking out at the setting sun.

he leaves silently, making his way to the dream estate where he feeds all of the animals.

"ugh! you again! where is kanroji?!"
sqwuak!" isamu yells.

"asleep." muichiro gruffly replies as he searches for the bird feed.

"as per damn usual! why is she not home?!"

"she came over for my birthday." muichiro replies as he looks in the closet.

"screw ya damn birthday! i want my fresh cooked food!"

muichiro grabs the bag of seeds and dumps a few in isamu's bowl.

"too bad." he shrugs.

"fuck you!"

"you too."

-♡-

amata awakes at the smell of cooking. she tiredly pulls her hands to her head and wipes her sleepy eyes and brushes her hair from her eyes. she then elevates herself into a sitting position, and upon noticing the blanket around her body, she smiles.