sixteen: siren, or simply a crook?

-♡-

"CAW! CAW! HEAD TO THE EAST COAST! RUMORS OF A DEMON ON THE DOCKS ARE SPREADING!"

amata nods at isamu before quickly finishing her food. she says goodbye to her cats and secures her sword and pouch before taking off, running all the way to the east coast.

"buy a pouch?! anyone to buy finely crafted leather bags?!"

amata smiles and runs up to the man on the dock. he sees her brightly colored hair and haori and smiles at her kindly.

"i remember you!" he remarks.

"and i, you!" amata smiles. "how has your business been?" amata asks.

"oh, amazing! your purchase allowed me to get a second stand, so now i can sell here and in a village close to that path you were on. i know it was expensive, but soon enough, i'll be able to open and official shop here!"

amata gasps and claps her hands. "congratulations!"

"so, how have you been since i last saw you?" the man asks.

"good. i was promoted." she boasts.

"great job!"

amata nods and takes a look out at the coast. the smell of saltwater and brewing rain drifts past her nose as she gazes at the deep grey-blue hue of the water and the dark grey stormclouds above.

"sir, i must ask." she starts. "there have been reports of strange sightings, and disappearances around these docks, right?"

the man frowns a bit and nods. "if you ask me, i think there's a siren." he says.

amata cocks her head. "like... the creature?"

he nods. "we've been hearing sone strange singing, and nobody wants to believe me, but i swear, i saw a fish-woman on those rocks over there!" he points to some rocks, where water beats on them harshly.

"is there a cave of some sort over there? or do people believe she comes straight from the sea?" amata asks, still watching the rocks.

"both." the man shrugs. "depends on who you ask. some people think a siren lurks, others think it's a normal- but crazy- human, and some think it's just a beached fish or shark that gets washed away."

amata nods and waves at the man politely before she begins trotting over to the rocks. she peers over the wooden deck that hangs just above them, a bit uneasy as water damage has made the dark wood turn grey-green from rot.

amata tests each step as she moves along, furthur investigating the area. she takes one step forward and the wood gives out, making her land on her bottom.

she looks around the dark area. she can see droplets of water from the splashing ocean, and moss grows all over the place. she stands up- short enough to fit under the deck- and the walks furthur away from civilization.

"yoo-hoo? anyone home?" amata calls out. she sees a strange opening on the hillside, making her frown a bit as she approaches it.

"hello? anyone in there?"

out a small creature comes, but amata only smiles at the turtle. she peers furthur in the hole, and upon realizing that the turtle was the only creature there, she backs away and continues walking along the coast.