four: beggar bird

-♡-

"PLEASE ENJOY YOUR MEALS."

the old woman slides the door shut and amata waves happily at the boy before hopping over to her food. she grabs her chopsticks and looks over at the slow-moving character beside her.

"where have you come from?" amata asks with a smile as she grabs a piece of sushi.

"woods."

"i mean your mission."

"cave in the woods."

"oh." amata nods as she begins to chew. she swallows all of her food before clearing her throat.

she suddenly extends a hand to the boy and he only stares at it before looking up at the girl.

"i'm amaterasu kanroji!" she happily announces.

"muichiro tokito."

he ignores her hand as he reaches for a piece of crab. amata's hand drops slowly and she cringes in embarassment at her actions.

the rest of the meal is eaten in silence before muichiro rises, halfway through, and begins walking to the door.

"um- are you not going to finish?" amata's light voice asks.

"not hungry." he huffs. he slides the door shut rather loudly before disappearing into the shared room.

amata decides to eat the rest of his food- it would be rude to waste it.

-♡-

"amata- sqwuak! who the hell are you?!" isamu asks.

"a demon slayer."

another crow lands next to isamu and she turns to look at him.

"oh, it's you."

"ginko. nice to see you again." isamu sighs.

"didn't you get assigned to that weird kanroji girl?" ginko grunts.

"don't call her weird."

"she is weird." ginko enforces.

"i know that, but she doesn't like to be told that." isamu sighs. "she has no friends."

he perks up and turns to muichiro, but the young demon slayer shakes his head instantly.

"no. not doing it."

"but why?!" isamu cries. "she's lonely! she just talks to me, day in and day out! about almost nothing! please, be her friend! at least for the night!"

"no."

"c'mon, man! she's really nice! and pretty!"

"no."

"isamu, you're trying too hard." ginko snorts. "that's why i like my slayer better. he stays nice and quiet and does what i say." she boasts.