thirteen: caretaker

-♡-

WITHIN A FEW DAYS, AMATA WAS FINE.

mitsuri had helped her the entire time, and brought the young girl to full health. she also healed extraordinarily fast, and her arm was out of the sling. of course, it wasn't quite done and still hurt a bit, but she could definitely use it.

"i think i'll bring tokito-san some mochi." amata says. "as a thank you for helping me through our fight with the swamp demon."

"aw!" mitsuri squeaks. she wiggles her arms in front of her chest and her cheeks turn bright red. "so cute!"

amata calmly smiles and packages the mochi up. after wrapping it carefully, she places it in her little belt-pouch before nodding after securing it. mitsuri heads off to take a mission and amata goes the opposite way to reach the mist estate.

however, she didn't realize his house was in the woods. somewhat swampy woods, at that.

she breathes deeply and walks faster, ignoring the chilling fear in her spine. flashes of the snake-demon blind her as she continues to walk.

she sees the dark, gloomy house in the distance, enveloped by mist and tree. she runs up to it and starts knocking on the door.

"tokito-san? i brought you a gift." she calls out with a soft voice. she hears nothing inside and frowns.

i won't knock again. knowing him, he's probably taken another mission already.

she turns to leave but the door swings open. she picks her head up and releases a bright smile at the clicking sound it makes.

"tokito-san!" she turns around but her smile drops at his state.

his nose, lips, and cheeks are red and runny, and his disheveled hair sticks out in odd ways. black bags under his bloodshot eyes prove he's not slept well in ages, and he has to breathe out of his mouth rather than his nose.

"oh my! you got sick too?" amata says with worry.

i knew that swamp-demon was bad news! now tokito-san is sick! oh, i hope it isn't too severe! i couldn't bear to see him gravely ill!

"too?" he croaks out.

"i was sick for a few days, but my sister helped me. tokito-san, are you okay?" she asks.

"what did you bring?" he asks, ignoring her question by asking an entirely off-topic one.

amata digs in her pouch and reveals the small mochi balls. "i brought you some mochi to say thank you. but, forget that." she says, shaking her head. "tokito-san, are you okay?"

he just stares at the mochi, furthur ignoring her question.

however, it answers her question perfectly.

"do you want me to make you some tea?" she offers gently. she hopes desperately for him to say yes.

instead, the boy says nothing as he steps aside and opens the door wider for amata. she carefully steps in and the door closes behind her.