twenty-eight: the best

-♡-

THE LOSS OF HER MENTOR DID NOT BODE WELL.

amata was commonly known to cry in the middle of eating, or in the middle of killing a demon over him at first. she was now better than she had been, but nothing would be able to fill that hole in her heart.

whenever she had the chance, she would visit senjuro. she would commonly come with a gift and treats, and both of them would discuss new things in their lives.

amata also let him stay over a lot. she had gotten a new house constructed over a new patch of land that was somewhat close to her old one. it was about the same size, and watari returned to live with her. senjuro staying over was always fun- the two would eat more sugar than anyone needs, and senjuro adored the animals.

amata had also returned to missions, and she trained herself half to death almost every day. now, she was even better at her missions, and she had grown a good bit in the four months since her mentor had passed.

and muichiro was visiting nearly every day now. he found himself drawn to amata at all times. when she wasn't around, he missed her. and did nothing but think of the girl.

today, amata was training the kamaboko squad again.

"tanjiro-kun, you're doing great!" amata encourages as he pulls the weights over the tree. a smile spreads across her face as he strains his muscles to pull the weight. zenitsu works on his flexibility and inosuke balances fifty pounds in each hand while standing on the fence.

zenitsu screams as he lowers himself further to the ground.

"you got this! whoo!" amata cheers.

zenitsu releases a deafening scream and fully does the splits. amata cheers and runs over to high-five him, making him swoon over her even more.

"amata-san, when did you pass final- ugh! final selection?!" tanjiro asks as he strains.

"last november."

"what?!" zenitsu screams. "b-b-but-but-"

"so did muichiro-san!"

zenitsu screams and tanjiro gasps in shock.

"really?!" he breathes.

"we became hashira in january, after defeating lower two in a joint mission." amata explains.

tanjiro drops the weights and rests against the tree. "were you nervous around them?"

"yep!" amata admits. "i actually humiliated myself in front of them by falling asleep."

tanjiro laughs at that and amata smiles. zenitsu just gapes in shock and inosuke continues balancing on the fence.

"how did you warm up to them?"

"well, my sister is the love hashira, so she helped introduce me to them." amata smiles. a sad look spreads across her face, but her smile remains at his memory.

"and rengoku-sama... he assured me that everyone would love me. he helped me talk to people, and make friends." amata says sadly. the kamaboko squad all feel their hearts touched at her expression and amata clears her throat.