twenty-three: teamwork makes the dream work

-♡-

"YUZUKI, GET BACK!"

amata kicks yuzuki back and swipes at the kizuki member's arms, effectively slicing them off. his pale skin suddenly lights up a bright red, and his orange eyes glow miraculously in the dark.

she kicks the demon back, and just as he gets four feet away, he brings his fist on the ground.

an explosion follows, sending amata and yuzuki into the air. yuzuki screams and amata remains call before propelling herself forward on the rocks.

dream breathing, fourth form, starry sky.

the blows to the demon only make him laugh until amata brings her blade to his beck. with a twist, the ribbon-like end carves up his back and he blade begins to go through his neck.

but once he starts glowing, amata jumps back.

another explosion erupts from his body, and amata lands on the floor. yuzuki clutches her sword in a terrified manner, staring at amata in horror.

but with blistering speed, amata rushes forward again.

"tell me, does your body combust? or just your hands?" amata asks with a smile as she counters a blow from the demon. she kicks his knee in before jumping over him and slicing off his legs.

he glows red and explodes once more, frustrating amata as he causes more damage to surrounding buildings. people scream and crowd out of building, or peer through windows to watch the fight.

"maybe i'll find your mist hashira friend." the demon threatens. "he lives close to you, does he not?"
amata furrows her eyebrows as she catches the demon's fist. she sharply crushes it, making yuzuki continue to stare in absolute shock.

"how long have you been watching me?"

the demon punches straight for amata's chest, but with a quick backbend, she dodges. the demon stares in confusion and she slices his arm off once more.

"for a while..." he smirks. "you're quite pretty."

"oh! i appreciate the compliment!"

amata slices his stomach up before jumping back as he turns red. she notices none of his severed limbs have disintegrated, and he eyes widen.

"yuzuki! evacute the are-"

in a flash, the limbs explode. amata falls back and hits her head, making her vision woozy from the impact.

she hears yuzuki scream, and despite the dizziness and temporary hearing loss, she reaches the girl in three seconds.

yuzuki gasps as a bleeding amata uses the brute force of her leg to kick the kizuki member away. he gasps as his ribs snap in two and pierce his right lung as amata holds her arms out, a determined look on her face.

yuzuki yells something at her, but amata can only hear a muffled wail, like she's trapped underwater. black spots in her vision attempt to distract her from the demon.

he suddenly takes off.

amata chases him. wind in her hair makes her truly feel the blood down her face, and the sight of the demon glowing red once more worries her deeply.