nineteen: the unapparent cause of distance

-♡-

"KANROJI-SAN!"

muichiro throws amata's sword at her as she jumps to reach the demon. the crooked, male demon gasps as she catches it and swiftly slices his head off  making his body crumple to ashes.

it had been two months since amata had met those hateful hinoe girls, and she had just defeated a very strong demon with her best friend, the mist hashira.

or, "best-friend". truth was, muichiro was talking to her less and less.

amata runs over to muichiro and grabs his arm, helping him to his feet. she smiles kindly at him before running around the rubble, her hands out be her sides.

"the kakushi are here." muichiro says.

"hello there!" amata waves to them all atop a pile of wood. "most of the people are over there!" she says, pointing to the east.

"thank you, kanroji-sama!" one says. amata gives a thumbs up before waddling to muichiro.

"ready to go?" she asks. he nods and they begin the trek back to their homes as the morning sun begins to rise.

amata yawns, drained from fighting the demon in the night. she knows she won't be sore, or even very bruised, but she is most definitely exhausted.

muichiro can tell because she yawns every four seconds and her zori slap the ground harshly.

"let's just rent two rooms." he shrugs.

"no, no!" amata says through a yawn. "i'm fine." she waves off.

"no you're not."

"ugh. you always say that, and i'm always fine!" amata insists.

she trips on a tree root and muichiro catches her, pulling her up by her uniform collar.

"actually, you always say that, and irony always strikes." muichiro retorts flatly. amata only rolls her eyes and waves him off.

"i have to feed franklin, and mochi, and ryuji, and chee-cho, and isamu will be pissy, and the fish need food..." amata lists on and on.

"you have to many pets." muichiro says.

"they are my companions!" amata smiles at him. "when you, or nee-san, or rengoku-sama, or tengen-san aren't around, i have my pets!" she explains.

muichiro stays silent, stewing on the fact that amata had mentioned him in that explanation.

"your birthday is soon, you know."

"i forgot."

amata smiles and waves her hand. "yeah, yeah. go figure." she jokes. "gonna have a big party?"

"gonna do whatever my mission is." muichiro deadpans.

"oh, no fun! will you object if i stop by early in the morning?" amata asks. muichiro stays silent.

"i know you aren't a huge fans of parties, or big crowds, or celebrations... well, anything involving more than like, two people, including you." amata says. "so, i was planning to just bring you a little treat and gift in the morning, and then i'll go on my way!" amata says, waving her hands in the air. "but, if you want absolutely nothing, i'll stop by on a random day in august and give you a treat and gift."