thirty-three.

the window of the truck was down, sending silas' hair in every direction. the truck was filled with silence as it had been since they had left the camp, where morales had announced that him and his family would be staying behind. in the drivers seat, daryl gripped the steering wheel with narrowed eyes, keeping them glued on the road. in the back, cass was sleeping, it seemed he was still not too used to being human, he was constantly tired. silas only sat in silence, wide awake as he fidgeted in discomfort from time to time, his body begging him to stretch his long legs out.

it was peaceful, the sound of the engine running and the wind rushing in through the windows. it all came to a stop as the rv came to an abrupt stop from in front of the truck. daryl was quick to stop the truck, brows furrowed in confusion as silas reached an arm back and shook cass awake. by the time that cass had sat up, daryl had already made his way out of the truck, slamming the door behind him as he stomped up to where the rest of their group stood beside the rv.

"what happened?" cass asked, looking around in confusion, not understanding why they had stopped moving and why daryl was no longer in the vehicle. "we had to stop, not sure why" silas shrugged, before beginning to get out of the truck, holding the door open for cass, who stumbled out, still tired from his nap. as the duo walked over to the rest of their group, silas noticed that dale was staring at the rv with a frown.

"i told you we'd never get far on that hose. i said i needed the one from the cube van." looking stressed, dale snatched his hat off and ran a hand over this head. "can you jury-rig it?" rick's brows furrowed as he stared at the rv, hands on his hips as his eyes shifted to dale, who shook his head.

"that's all it's been so far. it's more duct tape than hose and i'm out of duct tape." as if to emphasize his point, dale held up an empty roll of duct tape, tossing it to the side as he wouldn't need it anymore "i see something up ahead. a gas station if we're lucky" shane used binoculars to look off into the distance, standing slightly ahead of the rv to get a better view. before anybody could reply to him, jacqui came out of the rv suddenly, concern clear on her face. "y'all, jim, it's bad. i don't think he can take anymore."

at her words, shane sighed, shaking his head as he turned to rick, "hey, rick, you want to hold down the fort? i'll drive ahead, see what i can bring back" rick agreed with him as jacqui hurried back into the rv to join jim once again and attempt to make him feel more comfortable. from beside him, cass looked up at silas with a small frown, "you should go inside with jim" silas muttered to him, and that was all it took for cass to rush inside, joining jacqui and the sick man. in the meantime, it had been agreed that t-dog would accompany shane to check out the place he had spotted. so with a nod to the others, the two men hopped into shane's jeep, driving down the road and away from them at a fast speed.

words; 588

authors note;
i was thinking about how grateful i am that this book didn't really blow up as much as my xavier thorpe one because it does feel nice knowing people enojoy what you're writing but damn the pressure was crazy😭 i always had people telling me to update, messaging me privately about the book, which some messages were normal and those were usually the ones i replied to, but there was this one specific person who messaged me multiple times pressuring me into updating, telling me how much they loved it, and told me they would unalive themselves if i didn't update soon like bro?? it's never that serious, anyways, i would really love to continue it but i'm kind of scared to😖 maybe i'll start writing for it again soon and try to start updating when i'm almost done editing this so i'm not doing two things at once lol