4) Houseguests

"Oh... That's why Sam kissed me. Okay, that makes a lot more sense." I glanced at Sam, but he didn't seem to want to meet my eyes.
"Than what?" Copper-hair asked, me, confused.
"No one in their right mind would kiss me for no reason. I mean, look at me. It makes sense that he did it to heal or regenerate, or whatever, rather than just doing it out of the blue." Sam furrowed his eyebrows at that but didn't speak up. Mika frowned at me.
"You actually believe them?" She looked extremely sceptical of their claim, and I could understand why. It was pretty far-fetched. I, on the other hand, spent so much time wrapped up in fiction and fantasy that the appearance of five demons didn't phase me in the slightest.
"Yeah. It explains the weird brain fog I got when Sam kissed me. It's like... Mind control, but you kinda feel okay with it?"
"Enthrallment is the actual term." The eldest chipped in. Mika shook her head.
"No. I don't believe you. Incubuses don't exist."
"Ahem. 'Incubi' is the correct plural term, and yes, we do exist."
"Prove it."

Without a word, the eldest incubus gestured to Mika and Copper-hair stepped forward, a playful smirk dancing around his lips. He lifted Mika's chin and gazed into her eyes. I could only look on, amused.
"My sweet, you're so tempting with such non-belief... Let me ease your mind with a tender kiss. I promise you'll enjoy every minute of it and maybe you'll even want more." Mika nodded and Erik, true to his word, kissed her deeply. An awkward silence filled the room as I watched a complete stranger make out with my sister.
"Alright, that's enough." The eldest said.
"Aww... Very well." He pulled away and sighed contentedly. "I feel so much better!" He rejoined his brothers in the middle of the room, leaving Mika standing with a doe-eyed expression on her face. While it was funny to see, I couldn't help but glance self-consciously at Sam. Was that what I'd looked like when he kissed me? Was my lack of experience as obvious to him as Mika's was to all of us?

"Ah, where are my manners?" The eldest scolded himself. "I'm James. These are my brothers. Sam, Erik, Matthew, and Damien." Each brother gave a small gesture to signal which name was theirs, but Mika didn't seem to register that anyone had spoken.
"Miss... Are you okay?" Asked the smallest brother, Matthew. Mika answered by collapsing on the floor in a heap.

"Shit. She fainted." Sam stared at her, as did the rest of his brothers. I sighed.
"Can one of you help me take her to a bedroom or something?" I asked. Damien stepped forward silently and lifted Mika with ease. He hadn't spoken a word since he woke up, leaving me to wonder if he simply didn't like talking. If that was the case, I could respect it. I often felt the same way.
"The rest of us can set about cleaning the blood up if you like," James called to me. "Where can we find cleaning supplies?"
"I'll be honest, I have no clue. My sister and I have literally just moved in. This was my grandfather's house. Um... My best guess would be in the kitchen? Feel free to look around, you aren't gonna disturb anything of ours. Oh! And could you do us a massive favour and bring in the bags that're still outside? You can just stick it all in the foyer, you don't have to drag it anywhere. I just don't want it stolen."
"Very well..." James paused. "Forgive me for asking, but what title do you use? Your appearance seems to be in the middle of both male and female stereotypes."
"Well, you're the first person to ever ask," I said, laughing slightly. "My name's Phoenix, and I go by they/them pronouns. As for my title, I use Mx. It's not widely recognised but it's gender neutral, so it's what I use." James and his brothers nodded, committing that information to memory. I turned to Damien and together, we ascended the stairs. He laid Mika down on the bed in the first bedroom we came across, which I assumed was the master bedroom. He sat in a chair close to the window and looked at me.

"I can watch her if you like..." I was taken aback at first by the sound of his voice. It was calm and pleasant, but very quiet and reserved. Somehow though, it sounded exactly like I'd expected it to. I noticed a smile tug at Damien's lips.
"Are you sure you're okay with that?" I asked him. He nodded, letting a small smile spread over his face. "Alright then. Shout if you need me." Another nod. I left the room, closed the door gently, and wandered down to the foyer. It was already sparkling clean and now smelled of lemon-scented cleaning products, confusing me for a split second before the smell of food hit my nose and all other thoughts flew out of the window. I traced the smell to its source, passing Sam who was sitting in a ridiculously large and ridiculously fancy dining room, and entering the kitchen, where James, Erik, and Matthew were all bustling about, clearly hard at work.
"Jesus, that smells amazing. What are you doing?" I asked, perching myself on a nearby counter. Matthew sent me a toothy grin.
"We're making dinner to say sorry to you and your sister!"
"That's really nice, you didn't have to," I said. James waved off what I said.
"It's the least we could do."