Chapter 3

Everyone got situated in their rooms and did their own thing while I've been staring at the screen for a while now. "So are you going to tell me what really happened between you, Natasha, and Gisele?" Ria asked making me look at her as she entered back in the conference room.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I said and looked back at the screen. "You should know better than to lie to me Y/N." She said making me sigh.

"Just tell her already. She'll find out soon enough." Gisele said as she entered the main room too, making Ria and I look at her for a moment.

"Natasha and I broke up when SHIELD went down." I said making Ria look back at me. "I already knew that. Tell me why? What actually happened." She said and I leaned back in my seat and took a deep breath.

"I lied to her. I told her that I cheated on her with Gisele." I said and saw Ria's shocked face as she looked between me and Gisele. When she stopped she was lost in thought for a few seconds.

"Why? Why would you tell her that? What possible reason could you have to hurt her like that?" Ria asked angrily and I looked down.

"It's because Romanoff released SHIELD files on the internet along with the file about Y/N and her past." Gisele answered for me making me let out a sigh.

"You didn't tell her about your past?" Ria asked softly making me look back at her and saw her with a sad expression. "No."

"You've been with her for more than two years. Why haven't you told her before?" She asked and I look away from her. "Y/N you told us and we're just your teammates, she was your girlfriend. Why the hell didn't you tell her?"

"Do you think it's that easy? Do you think it's easy for me to just tell her everything? The mistakes I've made, the people who died because of me?!" I asked angrily making her shut up. I then took deep breaths to try to calm down.

"I have to side with Ria with this one. You are kind of unfair. You know everything about her, before she even told you because you had access to her files. Then you decide to hide your past from her." Gisele said making me calm down and feel guilty.

"You know I didn't want to know about her past. I did it because it was part of the job, I needed to know if she was a risk."

"Wait." Ria said making us both look at her. "So why did you have to lie to her that you cheated on her?" Ria said making me swallow the lump in my throat. I tried to think of an excuse.

"Because I started hating her for what she did." I said plainly and looked away. "If you really hated her then you didn't really need to lie to her. You just needed to tell her the truth that you hate her."

I looked back at Ria and wanted to say something but nothing came out of my mouth. "You're still in love with her." Ria said making me look back at her with a shocked expression as she was smiling at me.

"Is she right? Are you still in love with her?" Gisele asked and I looked at her to see a pained expression that she was trying to hide.

I didn't want to say anything since I know Gisele, my ex, still has feelings for me. And as much as I love her, I couldn't reciprocate the way she loves me. But at the same time, I don't want to hurt her.

"I don't know."

"If you still love her then everything makes sense. You chose to lie to her so she'll never feel guilty for hurting you with what she did." Ria said making me sigh again

"Sometimes the lie is more convenient than the truth. I did what I did because I know it was the right choice, if I could go back I wouldn't change anything." I said and shrugged