Chapter 43

Y/n's POV

I walked out of the compound and saw the agents holding back Ele who was heading over to a motorcycle. She probably planned to visit Secretary Ross.

"What's going on here?" I asked loudly making everyone stop and look at me. The agent who was then holding back Ele stood at attention.

"Are your jobs that easy that you have time to just stand around?" I asked and they replied in unison. "No ma'am."

"Then scram!" I yelled as everyone dispersed and I was left with Ele beside agents Jenkins and Hunt. "Ele, let's get going." I said as I walked past them and made my way to the security building.

Ele then quickly followed me as expected. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to talk with—"

"Stop. I'm not mad. But I want you to be focused and professional Ele. He's the Secretary of State." I reminded her and she sighed. "Right. I'm sorry. I just saw that he hurt you and my mind went black."

"It's fine. Let's just brief the others on what happened and what's going to happen." I said as we entered the security building.

Ele and I then walked in comfortable silence as we made our way to the meeting room where everyone was waiting for us.

Once outside of the meeting room Ele opened the doors and walked in first which made everyone look at her and me.

"Boss, your back we—"

Toby didn't get to finish his sentence as he looked towards my eye which my guess is probably a bit red and swollen now.

Ele then quickly signaled them which made them look away from it. "What were you going to say?" I asked and Toby quickly went back to his happy expression. "The hospital called us, Jack is out of surgery."

I collapsed on the chair from the good news and let out a big sigh of relief. "Yeah, they told us we can visit him now." Ria said as they all took their seats and looked at me with a smile.

"That's great. Let's all go later." Ele said enthusiastically. I should be happy that Jack is doing better and that I can visit him, but at the same time, I don't.

I don't want to see him mangled on his bed. I don't want to see him smiling at me reassuringly and telling me that it wasn't my fault, because ultimately it was my fault.

"You guys go. I need to prepare for the UN meeting. I'm going to be attending instead of Rogers." I told them and their smiles quickly faded.

"What? Why?" Ria asked and I sighed again. "He's tied up somewhere so I'm going to be doing it for him."

"But isn't the UN meeting in 3 days?" Riley asked and I look down at my hands as I think of a reason not to go to Jack.

"Yeah, but I'm going to need those 3 days to think of a way for the UN not to agree on the Sokovia Accords."

"Well, there's 6 of us so that can speed up the process." Ele said and I finally looked up. "No. You guys are on a break from work. Effective immediately."

"Y/n, what are you doing?" Ele whispered to me as the others looked like they disagree with me. "Take your time off and spend it with Jack."

"But boss—"

"I said effective immediately!" I cut off Toby as I raised my voice catching everyone off guard. Ria and I stared at each other for a while before she let out a sigh which broke the silence.

"You heard her. We're on a break so let's take care of Jack." Ria said as everyone looked at her and I smiled and nodded in her direction which she returned.