Chapter 29

I edged further into the kitchen, unsure if I was welcome or not. The pegasus mare standing beside Cocoa seemed indifferent to my presence, but the stallion obviously didn't trust me.

"How do we know she won't rat us out as soon as she gets the chance?"

"I trust her," Cocoa said, smiling at me. I smiled unsurely back at her.

"I swear to Celestia, if this gets us killed, I'm going to kill you Cocoa Berry..." he said, walking slowly over to me and extending his hoof.

I shook it, breathing a sigh of relief.

"My name is Hazelnut Swirl, and if you tell your psychotic pal about any of this, I will hurt you."

Nodding, I turned my attention to the other mare.

"I'm Caramel Cream. Don't worry about Hazel, he just gets antsy about outsiders."

"O-ok... So, what exactly is this?"

Hazel turned to Cocoa. "You didn't even fill her in?"

"I was going to, but the guards were listening outside her door. We needed somewhere safer to talk." She beckoned me over. "Ok, so Y/N, welcome to the secret resistance, also known as the group of ponies who will certainly die if the king finds out about us. Ahah..." Cocoa laughed nervously.

"There's- a resistance? I thought everypony was too scared to fight back-"

"Scared? We're not scared." Hazel said defensively. "But we aren't fighting him head on. We're just trying to devise an escape plan. Then we can actually make a difference, outside."

"Oh."

Caramel and Cocoa began talking to each other in hushed voices, making gestures every so often, and eventually Hazel led me back to the kitchen doors.

"You should get back to wherever the king is keeping you. If you're gone too long the guards will get suspicious and mention it to him."

"Good point. Can I- come back again tomorrow?"

"As long as you're sneaky about it, yes. We can update you on our progress."

I smiled at him and crept back up the stairs, being sure no one saw me. I detoured to the library to pick up a book before making my way back to the room. As soon as the door closed behind me, my body sagged in relief. Thank god no one got suspicious of where I was. 

The sun had just begun to set and I knew that Sombra would show himself any second. I waited in anticipation.

I waited.

I waited.

The door stayed closed. Where was he..? Not that I minded having more time to breathe normally but- this was weird for him. Did something happen?

Even though I hated him, my heart dropped at the mere thought. Oh Celestia please tell me he's just gotten caught up reading a book or speaking about something...

I paced the room for a few minutes before getting under the bedcovers and blowing out the candle by the bedside. As I lay there in the dark, trying not to fidget, the door finally creaked open. I heard the clink of armour being set down and then the rustle of covers as he got in beside me. 

He let out an exhausted sigh and shifted closer to me. I could feel his body heat on my flank.

What happens if I do have the chance to escape? I thought before that I would leave for certain. If this keeps happening, if I keep getting closer and closer to the reality of Sombra - the psychotic part of him - will I really want to leave?

I can't tell anymore.