Thalaivi | Vandiyathevan-Kundavai

The breeze was cool and and crickets chirped, making a lullaby. The tied up horse, after a long day's ride was sleeping while standing. It was very peaceful, unlike the hustle and bustle of villages and cities. The moonlight fell on a handsome young man's face. He was obviously lost in a pleasent reverie.

"Eyes which pierced my heart like a spear, complexion of a red lotus and with lips the color of a red pomegranate

"Eyes which pierced my heart like a spear, complexion of a red lotus and with lips the color of a red pomegranate. Her kind and decent mannerisms and her intelligence... will any woman have a combination of all three? Even the most talented sculptor will struggle to make her statue! She is Bramha's most exquisite creation! O maiden with the crown like hairstyle, empress of my five senses! I wish to be your slave for life!" He mumbled.

Vallavaraiyan Vandiyathevan of the Vaanar clan had lost his kingdom and parents. His friend and mentor, Aadhitha Karikalan had sent him to give two scrolls, one to his father, Paranthaka Sundara Chozhar, who is bedridden (or in Karikalan's words, imprisoned) in Thanjavur. The other one was for his esteemed younge sister, Ilaya Piratti Kundavai, who was in Pazhayarai.

Vandiyathevan had met Kundavai only 2-3 times, but the effect she had on him was profound.

"My thalaivi..." He said to a jasmine creeper dancing in the now stronger wind and closed his eyes, ready to drown in sweet dreams.

•••
Meanwhile, the sleepless Thalaivi and her Thozhi were strolling in the palace gardens.

•••Meanwhile, the sleepless Thalaivi and her Thozhi were strolling in the palace gardens

"Is that young man not letting you sleep, akka?" Giggled the thozhi. "Ey, Vanathi! Won't you stop teasing for once?" Said Kundavai. "What else can I say, Akka? All you seem to talk is about your Thalaivan!" Replied the woman named Vanathi.

"I'm not like you, Kanne. My thoughts are not always around a certain man!" Teased Kundavai. "Stop Akka! If you are not letting me go Eezham, atleast stop teasing me!" Said Vanathi bashfully.

Kundavai partly lied. She loved her beloved Chozha Desam and would give up her life for it. Her main concern was to save it from Pandya conspirators. However, the memory of that Vaanar warrior interupted frequently into her thoughts. She was worried about his well being. After all he was a ally to the Chozhas, trusted friend of her elder brother. Could it be more than concern?

"Akka, when will he come back?" Asked Vanathi. "Who do you mean, Kanne?" Said Kundavai

"Your esteemed younger brother, Akka...I wish to beg for his..." before Vanathi could complete her sentence, she stumbled and swooned. Kundavai quickly got hold of her thozhi, managed to get to a stone bench and sat on it with Vanathi resting on her shoulder.

 Kundavai quickly got hold of her thozhi, managed to get to a stone bench and sat on it with Vanathi resting on her shoulder

"Don't worry, Vanathi. What ever may come, you will marry Arulmozhi" She whispered.

"What is that young man doing now?" She thought.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══
(A/N): Meet Vanathi! She is quite an underrated character.

Glossary:

Vanathi- The Kodambaaloor princess. Future wife of Arulmozhi Varman/ Rajaraja Chozhan and mother of Rajendra Chozhan.
Ilaya Piratti- Younger Princess (of the Chozhas)
Thozhi- Female Friend
Thalaivan- Through nowadays we mostly use this word as 'Male leader', this word also means male lover. Here it means the latter.
Thalaivi- Same as the last one. Female leader or female lover. Here it means the latter.
Eezham- In medival times, this word referred to Sri Lanka.
Kanne- An affectionate word meaning 'my dearest'
Bramha- First of the Hindu Holy Trinity. The God of creation.
Thanjavur- During this story's time period, it was an important city in the Chozha Desam. It would become the capital under Rajaraja Chozhan's reign.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══