The Family | My Top 5 Characters

(A/N): It's been one year since this book was started! Thank you!

I wanted to write fanfiction involving my top 5 characters (Arulmozhi, Vallavan, Kundavai, AK, and Vanathi). So here it is.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

Kundavai's palace at Pazhayarai glowed with the light of many lamps. The half-moon peeked down at the palace along with the twinkling stars.

In one of the many balconies, Kundavai, Vandiyathevan, Arulmozhi, and Vanathi were hanging out. Vanathi was seated on a makeshift stage with her Veena. 

"Vanathi sing something for us, please?" Requested Kundavai. "What about Vaanai Madhi Soodiya? Or Mandhiram Avadhu Neeru?"

"Why just stop with the Thevaram, Akka? What about Pasuram, like Vaiyathu Vaazhveergal or Keezhvanam?" Chimed up Arulmozhi. 

"Please don't think I'm not giving value to your suggestions, but why should we sing praises of the Lord for our entertainment?" Interjected Vallavan. The others nodded in agreement. "Why not a love ballad?" He added, winking at Kundavai. The princess moved closer to him.

"What if we don't pester the Kodumbaaloor Pirattiyar to sing a song? You upstart! Move away from my sister." A voice boomed. Vandiyathevan turned to see Aadhitha Karikalan, his hand tightly squeezing his (Vallavan's) shoulder.

"Ilavarasare!" Squeaked Vandiyathevan and edged away. Karikalan laughed. Vanathi approached him to seek his blessings. 

"Rise up, princess! I'm not old enough to shower blessings."

"But you are older than me Ilavarasare. Besides, I'm meeting you for the first time. It's only proper that I seek your aasirvaadam." Vanathi said humbly, her palms folded. The prince softly smiled. "Looks like Kundavai has found the right match for my dear brother." 

Vanathi blushed and her eyes lowered to the floor. "I must keep the Veena back if it's not needed here." Saying so, she gently lifted it.

"Well...I've found our Thambi a gem among women. What about me, Anna?" Joked Kundavai. "What about my thozhan, Vallavarayan?" Arulmozhi asked and went inside to help Vanathi to store the instrument in the Kalanjiyam.

"Who, this Vallavarayan? He is a master at-"

"Melting my kal-nenju. I won't marry anyone else but him, Anna."

"...I was about to say deception."

"I would say that is a useful trait."

Karikalan looked at his sister thoughtfully.

"Since childhood, you've gotten your way with a lot of things. A lot. I know you have made the right decision." He said, putting an arm around his sister. "Vandiyatheva, come here. Why are you hesitating? Come, I won't eat you up."

Vandiyathevan walked towards them. Karikalan took their hands and joined them. "I would've sent Parthibendran to Thanjai and Pazhayarai. But do you know why I chose you?" He asked. Vandiyathevan shook his head. Temple bells echoed in his ear. The breeze seemed to be whispering to him 'You are a lucky person Vandiyatheva!'

"Because I knew that my sister will take away your heart."

Kundavai didn't reply. She looked into Vandiyathevan's eyes, her cheeks feeling warmer with every passing second. Vallavan soon met her eyes and they both stood there, forgetting their surroundings

At that moment, Karikalan thought that the night sky looked very interesting and looked up.

Inside, Arul and Vanathi were keeping the Veena back in its place. While returning, Arulmozhi bumped his head into the doorframe. He hissed in pain.

"Swami ! Are you ok?" Vanathi asked and gently rubbed his forehead. "Thanks. It's better now due to your touch." He said. Vanathi smirked.

"Come, or else they'll start wondering about why we're still here."

"I don't mind if they do." He said softly, inching closer to her.

"I do." She snapped back and quickly walked to the balcony, closely followed by her beloved. When they reached it, they stopped right in their tracks.

"Look Vanathi! Look at what my akka and...mama are doing!" Laughed Arulmozhi. Vanathi too giggled. "Akka! Didn't you tell me all those months back that you're always thinking about the Chozha Desam? Is he the desam you were thinking about?" The two quickly  parted and faced away from each other.

Karikalan now faced Arul and Vanathi. 

"Thambi, you've grown up quite a lot."

"It's not my fault Anna. Amma gave me a lot of food so that I could grow quicker."

"Look Arul, this girl is now like my daughter. Take good care of her, alright?"

"Anna, no!"

"What do you mean no?"

"If she is like your daughter, then I'll become her chittappa!"

"Oho!"

"Arase...I have to confess something, I'm in love with a Yaanai Paagan." Vanathi said, trying not to laugh.

Karikalan looked aghast. 

Arulmozhi grinned. He put one arm around her waist and pulled her closer. Vanathi looked at him as if to say 'Not right in front of him!'

"Apparently, this Yaanai Paagan is very kind and handsome" Said Arulmozhi, looked at Vanathi and pulled her even closer. Karikalan took the hint and smiled. 

"Ilavarasare...what about you?" Asked Vandiyathevan.

"What about me?"

"He's asking if you don't have a lover, Anna." Explained Kundavai.

"Well...I have Ilamadevi." He said.

Karikalan was immediately bombarded with questions from all four sides.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

(A/N): I've heard of Ilamadevi, but I don't know fully about her. If you know about her, do comment ♡

Apparently, Ilamadevi was Aadhitha Karikalan's wife in real life. She was the princess of Kanchipuram.

Glossary:

Mama- Uncle or Older sister's husband (here it means the latter) (I have no idea what word ancient people used instead of 'mama')

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══