A Jewel | Manimegalai-Vandiyathevan

(PS 2 spoilers ahead)

Vandiyathevan was smiling brightly. His face was just so innocent. He definitely wouldn't have stabbed someone in the back, would he?

He slowly floated towards her and extended a hand to her. And as she was about to grab it...

CLANG!

•••

Manimegalai woke up with a start. "Chandra!" She exclaimed. Chandramathi, her trusted friend and servant turned and started apologizing, "Devi, please forgive me. I tried to keep quiet but the vase..." "It's okay Chandra. I should've woken up earlier. The Pazhuvettarayars are coming today." Said Manimegalai and went off to take a bath.

Manimegalai was Kandamaaran's sister and the Kadamboor princess. That day, the Pazhuvettarayars were supposed to come, and later on, the Pattathu Ilavarasan Aaditha Karikalan.

An hour later, the Kadamboor princess came out of her chanbers. The golden color of her ornaments clashed beautifully with the dark brown color of her skin. Her walk was like a doe and face was innocent, true to her personality, which was purer than the purest milk.

•••

Manimegalai was always energetic, cheerful and talked happily. The sound of her melodious Yazh filled the hearts of many with joy. But now she lacked that same happiness she had a few months ago.

Kandamaaran would always talk about his friend, Vandiyathevan to Manimegalai.

"He is as handsome as Manmadhan, as intelligent as Brihaspati and as valorous as Arjunan. He would be the perfect match for you." He would say. Manimegalai would tease him but later on, she would spend hours day-dreaming about him. When see finally saw Vandiyathevan, his wide smile and twinkling eyes, she was set on marrying him. But then her family, along with Kandhamaaran, were planning to marry her to Madhuranthakan.

Manimegalai didn't want to be Madhuranthakan's wife. He had never set foot in a battlefield, a coward. Moreover, when the Pazhuvettarayars visited them a few months back, Madhuranthakan had come along in secrecy, in Nandhini Devi's palanquin. After hearing that Manimegalai firmly decided to never marry him.

And then, Kandhamaaran's tune changed. "Stop thinking about that Vandiyathevan! That shameless orphan stabbed me in the back and left me to die!" He would often say. And out of love for her brother, she did try to forget about Vandiyathevan. But he would come in her dreams and hallucinations. And now, her family was planning to marry her to Aaditha Karikalan, the courageous Chozha crown prince and the stark opposite of Madhuranthakan. She was excited and curious to meet the famed prince.

•••

As Manimegalai walked down the corridors, she passed by Kandamaaran. "Manimegalai, have you prepared the crown prince and Nandhini Devi's chambers?" He asked. "Not yet, anna." She replied. "Oh! Is Nandhini Devi really coming this time?" Chandramathi whispered to Manimegalai. Kandhamaaran heard what she said. "Of course she is! Her beauty veils her intelligence and kindness. Why, she was the one who helped my wound to heal, the same wound that that lowborn Vandiyathevan gave me. Anyhow, Mani, you should be Nandhini Devi's companion during her stay here, understood?" Said Kandhamaaran. Manimegalai nodded and started her work.

That day, the sound of Manimegalai's anklets were heard throughout the palace. She inspected all the guest rooms and commanded the servants to rearrange objects over and over again. At last she was alone in Nandhini's anthapuram.

She looked around the lavishly decorated anthapuram and hoped that Nandhini would like it.

She then happened to look at herself at a large mirror nearby. She admired how she looked and felt that she indeed looked pretty.

And then suddenly, a face appeared in the mirror.

It was Vandiyathevan.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

(A/N): Meet Manimegalai, the innocent daughter of Sambuvaraiyar!

Glossary:

Pattathu Ilavarasan: Crown prince

Yazh: An ancient Tamizh instrument.

Manmadhan: The God of Love, also known as Kama.

Brihaspati: The preceptor of the Gods

Arjunan: The brave hero of the Mahabharata.

Anthapuram: Women's quarters

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══