Her only companion | Manimegalai and Nandhini

Manimegalai had been wrong about two things.

1. Believing certain rumors about Nandhini Devi. About how she was planning to take over the Chozha throne and how rude she is. No! It was all wrong! Never before in her life had she met such a charming woman. Nandhini was such a gold hearted lady and she (Manimegalai) was blessed to form an acquaintance with her.

2. Thinking that Vandiyathevan was a traitor. Of course she wasn't entirely sure about this, but the young warrior's speech and mannerisms didn't seem like he would stab a best friend's back.

Manimegalai was walking towards Nandhini's chamber. On the way she overheard some men.

"Vallavarayara! Shall we go for a hunt tomorrow?" Said a bold, courageous voice. Manimegalai paused and looked into the room secretly. "Sure my prince! Maybe even Parthibendran and Kandan Maaran would like to join." Said Vandiyathevan.

Aaditha Karikalan was seated on a chair. Vandiyathevan stood beside him. "I feel that the young Kadamboor princess fancies you, Vandiyatheva." Said Aadithan with a smirk. Manimegalai blushed and started running. Had the crown prince noticed her?

"Was that the sound of anklets?" Vandiyathevan asked upon hearing the sound of anklets jingling furiously.

•••
Manimegalai was now standing at the entrance to Nandhini's private anthapuram. "Akka? May I come in?" "Why would a younger sister need permission to enter her akka's room?" Asked a soothing voice from inside.

Manimegalai entered into the room.
Nandhini was reclined on a couch. She smiled brightly upon seeing the princess. To Manimegalai, the smile shined brighter than all other lights in the room. The Ilaya Rani gestured her to sit on a chair nearby.

"Akka! If only the world allowed women to marry women! I would hold a swayamvaram and garland you!" Said Manimegalai.

"Kanne, you know very well that it's not possible." Smiled Nandhini. She paused for a second and continued, "I am so fortunate to have a companion like you! All the other princess go to the Ilaya Piratti."

"Akka, who would go to the Ilaya Piratti after they have met you?" Replied Mani.

"Kanne! I have a special power, I can read people's minds." Said Nandhini.

"Really? So can you read my mine too, Akka?"

"Of course! Let me guess. There is a very handsome and courageous young man who is haunting you, day and night. Even right now, he is very nearby to you. You just feel too shy to speak with him."

"Akka...I..."

"Oh, you're blushing! Hmmm... that young man's name is Vallavarayaran Vandiyathevan of the Vaanar clan. Am I right?"

"You are right akka...I love him dearly. But my annan hates him."

"Well...you may love him. But are you in his heart? And look! You are opposing the exact reason I came here for! I wanted you to marry the crown prince."

Manimegalai remained silent. Her heart was in a dilemma.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══
(A/N): You could tell I am running out of ideas. This chapter is really short. I'm sorry!

Glossary-

Swayamvaram: A ceremony in which a princess chooses her suitor.

Annan: Older brother

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══