Aval Thedal | Nandhini

(A/N): In the book, it is mentioned that Nandhini rides away, into infinity, never to be seen again. Where did she go first?

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

The village of Sengathalam was slowly waking up. Men and women started their morning activities while the children slept.

Around this time, the loud footsteps of a horse were heard. People looked out to see a woman who looked like she had just descended from Devalokam. Her golden skin glowed in the emerging sunlight and her black eyes darted around. She wore a simple yet faded dress and her hair was left free.

A shady-looking man approached her. His glances made the woman uncomfortable. Nevertheless, she decided to ask him for help.

"Ayya, which way leads to Kodiyakkarai?" She asked, not directly looking at him.

"Well, I don't know the way to Kodiyakkarai, but I do know the way to my house. Wanna come stop by?" He replied, a creepy smile filling up his cheeks.

The woman now looked straight at him, her flaming eyes burning right through him. The man took a few steps back. The horse neighed.

"You idiot! Drunk early in the morning?" A group of people dragged him away while admonishing him. A youngster stayed behind.

"I beg your forgiveness on his behalf. Please don't mistake us." He apologized.

"It's fine..." She said.

"Where do you want to go, Akka?"

"Kodiyakkarai."

"Don't worry Akka, I'll help you reach there."

"Thank you."

"What's your name?"

"Nandhini."

•••

Nandhini now stood by the seashore with her horse, completely alone. The foamy waves caressed her feet and comforted her. The waves had their own delicate sound. She deeply inhaled the salty air.

And fell to her knees.

The sea reminded her of a Pasuram which now felt like a distant memory.

"Aazhi Mazhai Kanna...onnu nee kai karave-" She started singing gently, but abruptly stopped and sobbed. She was reminded of the days she wanted to be the next Andal. But instead of Kannan, Karikalan came.

Oh, how he loved watching her sing!

The horse, which seemed to have understood her despair, blew air in her face. 

Why, why was she so unlucky? She now couldn't even entirely blame Kundavai for her miseries. Probably she just wanted her Annan to not get ridiculed. In fact, there was no one she could blame.

A single tear escaped her eyes and got mingled with the sea.

"Ammani? Are you alright?" A voice asked from behind her. She looked back to see a man in his late fifties. 

"I'm alright, Ayya. Might I ask who you are?" She replied facing him.

"I'm Thyaga Vidanga- Mandakini Akka? Is that you? No...you are way younger. And you can speak."

Nandhini recognized him to be Rakkamma's father-in-law. But she was more intrigued to find out about Mandakini, whose name had struck a chord in her heart. 

"My name is Nandhini. Can you please tell me more about her...the Oomai Thayi?"

"Mandakini akka... My paatanar took her away to Eezham, hoping that she'll become a queen."

He continued, recalling her traits and pastimes. Nandhini finally found out about her.

 Not Adhbuthakannan, not Aadhithan.

She finally knew about her Amma, who she longed to meet since her childhood.

"We thought she jumped down from the lighthouse and died. But turns out, she was saved." Thyaga Vidangar said.

"Do you know about her whereabouts?"

"She kept traveling from place to place. Even my daughter, Poonguzhali, who is very attached to her couldn't track exactly where she was. But..."

Nandhini sensed that something was wrong. "But?"

"We received news a few days back that she died protecting Sundara Chozhan." He concluded with his head hung in sadness.

She tried hard not to cry. The aabathudavigal. They hid this from her.

After all that she had done for them.

The little hope to meet her mother disappeared. She fell at his feet. 

"Ammani! Why-"

Nandhini rose up with folded palms, her clothes drenched, and her forehead speckled with sand. "Thank you." She said softly. He was taken aback by her sudden gesture and felt pity on the unknown lady.

"You resemble her. The only differences are that you're slightly taller and... Akka's eyes were innocent and compassionate. And yours, please don't take me wrong, are sharper yet clouded for some reason." He said.

"I see."

"Please come to my home. I'll arrange food and fresh clothes for you."

"No thank you, Ayya. I don't wish to trouble you."

"At least let me offer you food that you can eat on your journey."

Nandhini obliged. Thyaga Vidangar rushed back to his hut.

After about a half hour, he returned with a pot of Pazhaya Soru.

The mysterious woman and her horse were nowhere to be seen. He then noticed a word written on the wet sand.

'Nandri, mama.'

The truth struck him.

"Was she- Was she akka's daughter?"

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

(A/N): This chapter was a sudden jolt of inspiration from the cover pic 🙃

Also, Pazhaya Soru hits different. Like I've seen lots of people sulk at it's mention, but I like it???

Glossary:

Aval Thedal- Her search

Devalokam- Abode of the Gods

Oomai Thayi- Mute mother

Eezham- Sri Lanka was called Eezham during the Chozha Era

Pazhaya Soru- Fermented rice

Nandri- Thank you

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══