The Flower And The Nectar | Poonguzhali-Amudhan

Poonguzhali collected flowers from the garden, while humming her original composition. She was visiting her cousin Sendhan Amudhan and his mother.

"Athan! I've brought all those flowers that you asked." She informed going in the hut. "Ah, thank you! Give them here." He thanked her.

"How do you make garlands?" Poonguzhali asked watching him seperate the jasmine from other flowers. "Want to know how?'"

"Yeah."

"Then here. Today you'll string a garland for Lord Aarooran." He said and pushed the flower basket to her. "But I don't even know ho-"

"So first take this thread and fold it five times. Then make a round like this, make a loop with these two fingers and pull. Like this. And do that another time." He explained. She tried to follow the same.

"Now take a flower and place it- not there, here. Yes good. Now you place another flower like this...You are not controlling a boat stuck in the middle of a storm, be gentle alright?"

And so he explained the process slowly. Poonguzhali, who was intrigued at first now sulked.

"What happened?"

"This is boring. This is your profession so that's fine, but do princesses in the palace really do this to while away their time?"

"Maybe. I'm not a princess."

"Where is chitti?"

"She has gone out to sell her medicine."

She sighed.

"Look at those palace pumpkins. All they do is cover themselves in precious silks and jewels and gossip forever."

"That's not true. Take the Periya Piratti, Sembiyan Maadeviyaar as an example. She's always taking care of the people and their welfare."

His eyes had a special spark upon the mention of the grand dowager.

"Okay but imagine if I was a princess. I won't keep any poor parrots caged or behave in a snooty manner. I'll be free like I'm now. And if someone dares open their mouth, I'll take out my trusty knife and SLASH! Their tounge will fall out. The mouths will be filled with blood!"

Amudhan covered his ears. "Siva Siva! What sort of words are these?"

Poonguzhali merely laughed.

"So I'm just supposed to do this over and over?"

"Yes."

Minutes passed. Both of them finished it.

"Look!" Exclaimed Poonguzhali, excited. "Poonguzhali seidha Poomalai!"

"It's really good for your first time." He smiled.

"What will you do with that string of jasmine?"

Sendhan walked behind Poo. He spun and tied the jasmine around her hair, which was in a bun. He took a good look at her, and cracked his knuckles with his forehead to remove the evil eye.

"Who cares about princesses, even divine damsels would be jealous of you!" He said. Poonguzhali smirked.

"Say all what you want, but I will only marry a rich prince."

"No matter what decision you take, I will respect it for I love you deeply."

Saying so, he picked up the garland and started to leave for the Sivan temple.

"Are you just going to leave a young woman at home?" Poonguzhali asked.

"Of course not. Come. We'll go to the temple and then to the market. Ask whatever you want and if it is possible, I'll buy it." He said.

The two of them stepped out and walked to the main road. It was very crowded.

"Oh."

"Poonguzhali, hold my hand. I don't want you to get lost."

"Amudha, I'm not a small child."

"Please? For my sake?"

"Fine then. But don't take anything seriously, alright?"

"I won't."

And the two walked, hand in hand.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

(A/N): Special mention to AmayaK123, who had the same idea in mind while I was writing this. Both of us had the same thought- There isn't a fanfiction for Sendhan Amudhan and Poonguzhali (Atleast till what I had read)

Glossary-

Poonguzhali seidha Poomalai- The flower garland made by Poonguzhali

Athaan- Aunt's son or Elder sister's husband. Here it means the former (It just depends on the region or the family.)

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══