Kaadhal | Vandiyathevan-Kundavai

(A few years after Ponniyin Selvan ended)

It was that time in the day when the sky was neither dark nor bright. The birds were departing to their homes. While the lotus started to sleep, the jasmine bloomed. The stars and the moon started to peak out.

The Kaveri looked tranquil, but then all of a sudden ripples started to form in the river.

On a boat, the Vaana King, Vallavarayan Vandiyathevan held out his hand to his queen, Kundavai Devi to help her into the boat.

It had been quite a few years since they both had married. However, the King had his kingdom to take care of, and his Queen never left her dearest Chozha naadu, and would help in the affairs of the kingdom along with her brother.

This was one of the few times they met.

The boat started moving.

For sometime, they both looked at each other with admiring eyes. Their mind went through the times when they had just met. Their heart fluttered and temple bells were heard in their ears.

"Swami! How are the affairs of your country going?" Asked Kundavai. "That is a question you must ask the people Devi ! Only they would give you an honest answer!" Replied Vandiyathevan. "However, the people do like to discuss among themselves about when their King would bring the Chozha princess there." He continued. "Swami, haven't you told the people that the Chozha princess will never step out of her country?" Asked Kundavai. "If you ask me, I feel that the Chozha princess's oath is more important than bringing her to my country." Came the reply.

Kundavai smiled. To Vandiyathevan, the smile was still earth shattering.

At a distance people were reciting poems. The voices were low, but still clear. The verse that they were singing was from Pathinapalai, which described Kaveripoompattinam during the rule of Karikala Chozhan.

"The yields of river Kaveri, eatables from Eezham, Burmese products and many rare and big things are piled up together on the wide streets, bending the ground under."

Thus they sang.

"Devi! Have you heard the Kurunthogai?" Asked Vandiyathevan. "Why? Will the Vaana King sing a stanza for me?" Questioned Kundavai.

"Do you (honeybee) know a flower which has more fragrance than the hair of my beloved, who has perfect teeth, the characteristics of a peacock and enduring love?"
Sung he.

"Do you (honeybee) know a flower which has more fragrance than the hair of my beloved, who has perfect teeth, the characteristics of a peacock and enduring love?"Sung he

"Oh! So you sing such poems too? I thought you would only sing the praises of your brave clan." Beamed Kundavai. Vandiyathevan laughed. Kundavai started laughing too.

They started talking. They talked about various random topics. And then, they laughed. This laughter was meaningless. But in love, true love, almost nothing is meaningful.

Sometimes, Kundavai would giggle while resting her head on Vandiyathevan's shoulder. Vandiyathevan guffawed while putting his arm around Kundavai's shoulder. They were away and alone together. No royal rules, no 'proper, elegant behaviour' applied to them now.

It was just bliss.

Kundavai suddenly extended her palms towards her husband. Vandiyathevan caught the soft palms and gently touched his eyes with them.

After what seemed like a very short time, Vandiyathevan lifted his head up and wrapped his arm around Kundavai's shoulder.

"Devi, do you remember that time when you showed me you lotus like palms, and I placed my eyes on them like I did just now?"

"Yes Swami ! I also remember that time when you hurled your spear at a stuffed crocodile. You showed such valour!"

"Oh Devi ! Please do not remind me of that incident again!"

They both laughed again.

And the boat continued to move down the Kaveri river.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

(A/N): My favourite ship is Vandiyathevan-Kundavai. What about yours?

Glossary:

Kaadhal- Love

Swami- Lord. It can refer to God or sometimes husband. Here, it means the latter.

Karikala Chozhan- The famous ancient Chozha emperor.

Kaveripoompattinam- It was once a ancient flourishing port in Tamil Nadu. Also known as Poompuhar.

Pathinappalai, Kurunthogai- Both were poems composed during the Sangam era.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══