Under The Raindrops | Arulmozhi-Vanathi

What if there was a conversation between Arulmozhi and Vanathi other than the one we see in 'Kanava? Nanava?' chapter in Book 5?

@AmayaK123 requested for a Arulmozhi Varman x Vanathi ff, so here we are!

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

The afternoon sun was obstructed by a vast and thick layer of grey clouds. Vanathi sat alone under a tree in the palace gardens, lost in her thoughts.

There was a tingly feeling in her innocent heart. No matter how much she tried, she couldn't ignore it.

As she sat looking at nothing in particular, a manly yet gentle voice spoke up from behind "Devi ! Mind if I join you?". Vanathi broke from her thoughts and turned her head to see Arulmozhi Varman. "Oh! Ilavarasare, this whole palace is yours. Why are you asking this waif for permission?" Chimed up Vanathi. Arulmozhi smiled and sat down beside her.

"Vanathi, I'm sorry...I didn't trust you earlier. I thought that your love for the throne was greater than your love for me." Started he. "Ayya! If I were in your place I too would've thought that women love me just for the Chozha throne. There is nothing wrong in it. Unfortunately, that's how royal people live, unable to trust many people." She said.

"Yes ammani, what you said was right. I would rather be a fisherman or a traveller than being someone in power." Exclaimed Arulmozhi. "What about being a mahout, ayya? Wouldn't you be happy doing that also?" Asked Vanathi cheekily. Arulmozhi laughed.

"Oh yes, being a mahout too would be nice. I thought the daughter-in-law of the Chozhas would not talk much."

"Daughter-in-law?"

"Why? Don't you like me?"

"Ayya, I shall serve you till the end of my life. Just give me any command. I will even go to the Himalayas if you wanted me too. Just one word from you is enough."

"Ammani! There is no need to go that far. I, Arulmozhi Varman, command you to marry me."

The wind started to blow stronger.

"Is that all, Ilavarasare?"

"Yes. I also request you to give me a order, anything. I too wish to serve you forever Devi."

"But how can I...You are a powerful prince and I am jus-"

"No no. Say whatever you want."

Vanathi tried to speak without laughing.

"Will, will you be the father to my son?"

Hearing this Arulmozhi roared with laughter and Vanathi started to snigger too.

It was then Indra Devan himself decided to shower his blessings on them. He started with a drizzle.

"The palace is kind of far from here. Make haste, Vanathi! We'll go to the mandapam in the garden." He said rather calmly. Arulmozhi held Vanathi's hand and started running towards the mandapam. Vanathi struggled to keep up with him, but hey, it was exciting!

Very soon, they plopped down in the mandapam, slightly wet but perfectly fine otherwise. Both of them looked at each other, their souls slowly drowning into each other's dark eyes. The pleasant fragrance of petrichor started to wrap around them. The cold and damp wind somehow felt warm to the prince and princess. The rain started to pour heavily, trapping them there.

"Arase! We could've easily run to the palace. Why here?" Vanathi broke the silence. "In the palace, we can't speak freely like how we spoke under the tree. Hence, I brought you here." Replied he. "What if someone sees us? We aren't married yet." Asked she. "Devi, you ask too many questions. Haven't we heard stories about women sneaking out at night to meet their lovers? And everyone knows you and I are made for each other. If you ask me, I would say there is nothing wrong in both of us meeting." Assured he.

"And Vanathi, if I marry you, I would have a son with you. What sort of command was that? Are you that happy in life that you can't think of anything else." Teased he. "Arase, the Kudandhai Jothidar always said that I would have a brave son. So I thought his father must be you and you alone." Said Vanathi. "One must never rely on astrologers to decide our future. It is our actions and willpower that can change anything in our lives." Advised Arulmozhi.

"That is one of the perks of marrying you, Ayya. I can change into a better person by just listening to your words!"

"Fine fine, leave all that. Tell another wish of yours."

"Hearing your voice and seeing your face is greater than any boon the Gods can give. What else do I need? I just want to be yours forever."

"Granted. Anything else?"

"Parameshwara! Should I ask for more?"

"Yes. I want to make a note of all your wishes to keep you happy by the time this rain ends."

"Hmm...Then Yaanai Paaga, take me on a ride on your elephant!"

"Now? It is raining! Wouldn't akka worry about us?"

"Recall all what you said earlier and then take a decision Yaanai Paagare."

The mahout smiled.

"I love you to the moon and back, Devi."

He held her hand and the two ran out of the mandapam, their faces slightly hurting due to their wide smiles.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══