Maaya Mohini | Nandhini and Vandiyathevan

Moonlight filtered through the windows. The palace was bright, with millions of lights glowing here and there.

She reclined on the couch. Her golden skin was draped in soft silks and her face was round. She had full lips. Her luscious, long hair was tied up in a kondai. Her eyes, which were black and beautiful contained a certain sadness in it. Her beauty was far more mesmerising than the mysterious aroma of the incense sticks lighted nearby.

Her mind drifted...

How Kundavai treated her, just because she was not a royal.

The way Aaditha Karikalan's eyes showed pain.

Veerapandiyan's head rolled to her.

The Abathudavigal almost threw her in a fire.

As she went through these events, she was reminded of a recent conversation.

"Nandhini...malare! How I long to caress your soft body! How I long to find a place at your bed and in your heart!" Said the Periya Pazhuvettarayar. He placed a rough hand on Nandhini's shoulder, who gently pushed it away. "I am doing an oath to Durga Parameshwari. Please, do not touch me." Said Nandhini.

"Ah! Another oath? For how long will this continue?" He asked. "I wish for you to be in control of the Chozha kingdom. That is why all do all these rituals, prayers and oaths. It's all for your own well being, Naadha." Replied she. The very word 'Naadha' sent shivers down Periya Pazhuvettarayar's spine. Nandhini smiled. Her smile could bring all the three worlds crashing down.

"Devi, I have made preparations for a meeting to happen to Kadamboor Sambuvaraiyar's palace. I will make sure that all chieftains support Maduranthakan." Said the Dhanadikari.

Nandhini got the news that Periya Pazhuvettaryar was on his way

Nandhini got the news that Periya Pazhuvettaryar was on his way. That Mandiravaadi, Ravidasan, was also supposed to come. She wasn't happy about both coming.

Probably if the royals left her alone, she could've married Aaditha Karikalan, mostly for her love on him and partly for the glorious throne. But no! That Chozha snake, Kundavai, just had to interfere! What was Nandhini supposed to do about her beauty?

Just then, Vasuki, her trusted maid came in. "Devi! The mandiravaadi has come." She said. "Bring him in." Commanded Nandhini.

Vasuki lead a handsome young man in the room and left. Nandhini smiled. "Oh! So you are the mandiravaadi ? How did you come here?" She joked. "Ammani, I did not do any magic. I jumped over a wall. That's all." Said Vandiyathevan.

Nandhini laughed. Vandiyathevan was enchanted by her voice, which was as soft as silk and as intoxicative as alchohol. "Don't I know that? What magic spell did you cast on that lady so that she brought you here?" Asked Nandhini. "I saw light under the moon's light, Ammani!" He replied.

The two conversed for sometime.

"Well...ever since I saw you yesterday, all my thoughts were around you. That's why I called the mandiravaadi to ask him when you'd come." Said Nandhini in a seductive way.

Vandiyathevan felt his world swirl. Only Nandhini was in focus. Her voice was clear yet faint now.

"Ayya, do you believe in the concept of poorva janmam?"

"What is that...?"

"If you had any friendship or relationship with anyone in your past life, it would continue in your current life."

"No, Vandiyatheva! Come back to your senses!" He thought. He finally snapped back to his senses.

"Till yesterday I did not have that belief. Only yesterday I started to believe it." He said.

Even though Vandiyathevan lied, he said it while thinking about the lady at the Kudandhai Jothidar's hut. But Nandhini wasn't aware of this incident, right? She thought the young warrior was talking about her.

"You did not come to see me, right? You said Azhwarkadiyaan Nambi had a message for me." She said. "Yes ammani!" Replied Vandiyathevan. He said about how he had met Azhwarkadiyaan.

Suddenly, the sound was drums, horses and elephants were heard. Nandhini sat up straight.

Vasuki rushed inside the room and said "Amma, I think the Yejaman has come back." "Yes, I am aware of it. Go back to your place." Said Nandhini. She then turned to Vandiyathevan. "The Yejaman will come here only after meeting the emperor. You should go before he comes back. What was Azhwarkadiyaan's message for me?" She questioned.

"Devi, that Vaishnavaite said that you are his sister. Is that true?"

"Why? What doubt do you have in that?"

"How can a beautiful parrot and a monkey be the children of the same mother?"

Nandhini laughed and replied "It is true in a way. Both of us grew up in the same house."

Nandhini asked about Nambi's message again. Vandiyathevan said " 'You have done service to Krishnan, and sang divine paasurams. It is not too late now. Come back, Krishnan is waiting for you.' This is what he said ammani."

"It is too late for that." Sighed Nandhini and asked "What did you say your name was, Ayya?" "Vandiyathevan is my name. Vallavaraiyan is the title given to me." Came the reply.

"Hm. Your kingdom is no more in your hands. Am I right?" She asked. "Yes ammani. I only own my title."

"Vallavarayare! Let's enter into a pact. You will help me, and I will help you in return."

"You are the most powerful women in the Chozha desam, Ammani. And I am an ordinary orphan. What can I do for you?"

"I need a trustworthy and strong bodyguard. If I get you a job in this palace, will you accept it?"

"Oh! But Ilavarasar Aaditha Karikalar has sent his esteemed younger sister a olai I have been sent as a bodyguard to her." Said Vandiyathevan. He took out a olai from his angavastram and gave it to Nandhini. She read it carefully and spoke, "Ayya! Then can you give me the reply the Ilaya Piratti sends?"

"That sounds dangerous..."

"Well, you look like someone who likes danger."

"I am not afraid of danger, ammani. However, I deserve a prize equal to the danger, don't I?"

"A gift? If you want, I will give you your kingdom back..." Nandhini reclined in a more casual position and continued, "...or I can give you a prize far better than that. Something beyond your wildest dreams!"

Once again, Vandiyathevan felt his head spin. As he tried to regain consciousness, he heard an owl's hoot.

"The actual mandiravaadi has come. Quick, hide behind a pillar!" She said.

As Vallavarayaran ran towards a pillar, Nandhini smiled.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

(A/N): Most of Vandiyathevan and Nandhini's conversation have been taken from the original book, with slight changes. (Would I get copyright strikes for this? The book is 70 years old, but idk).

Also there are so many italics here 😀

Also this chapter has a whole different...shade.

Glossary:
Abathudavigal- Veerapandiyan's bodyguards
Malare- Oh flower!
Naadha- Beloved
Dhanadikari- Treasurer/ Chancellor
Mandiravaadi- Magician
Jothidar- Astrologer
Ammani- Literally means 'Gem of a female'. Used as a term of respect for (higher class?) women.
Yejaman- Chieftain

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══