The River of Blood | Karikalan

TW: Mentions of war, blood, gore, and violence.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

It looked as if the sun would never set.

Thousands of molten-red rivers flowed everywhere on the barren earth.

Men were groaning and yowling amidst the chaotic clashing and clanging of weapons.

The perfume of death emanated from hundreds and hundreds of corpses.

And occasionally, one could some sort of spirit zooming in between them. Except, for the enemies, it wasn't a spirit, he was an arakkan.

The arakkan's sword slashed, making noises.

"Ilavarasare! Behind you!" Shouted Parthibendra Pallavan.

Aadhitha Karikalan made one swift movement. 

SLASH. 

The enemy's arm was cut off from his torso. The blood started to ooze out like a fountain as he dropped to the ground.

Pallavan grinned. "You owe me a drink. Toddy or wine, anything is fine!"

Suddenly, the Chozha prince pushed Parthibendran down his horse. An arrow flew right past the place where the Pallavan's head was supposed to be. "You fool! Don't get distracted right in the middle of a war!" He admonished and rode off into the light mist.

"My brave friend, rise oh warrior! Vetri Namade!" He shouted as he helped a wounded soldier stand up. To the soldier, it seemed like Lord Seyon, the God of war himself had come to help him and started fighting again with a newfound energy.

More screams followed. Screams of the people who were destined to ascend to Veeraswargam

Karikalan was overpowered by a desire. The desire to draw blood from the enemy. It increased with every person who was struck with his Vaal or Vel.

'It would have been a good experience for Arul. If only the women of the anthappuram would let him out.' He thought. His eyes happened to look down at the blood-stained yellow flag.

The flag with the Pandiyar Chinnam. The Meen Kodi.

"Ilavarasare!" Vallavarvaryan Vandiyathevan was riding towards him, followed by Karikalan's Paatanar, Malayaman on an elephant.

"Ilavarasare! Apparently Veerapan- Stay still Semba! Veerapandiyan has fled into hiding." He informed. "The coward! I will go at once and search for him in the forest." Boomed Aadhithan, his face scrunched up in anger. "Aadhitha! Don't act in haste. The sun is about to set." Cautioned Malayaman.

"Paata! You and Vikrama Kesari mama lead the armies back into the camp once the war is over for the day. Arrange food and medicine for our men. I'll come back after night has fallen.  But I promise to spill the Pandiyan's blood, today." He said and went into the forest.

•••

That night, the joyous shouts of 'Vetrivel! Veeravel!' resonated all around the camp. 

Malayaman carefully placed Veerapandiyan's bloodied head on an open palanquin. "Why are you treating his head like a fragile gem?" Parthibendran asked, laughing.

"Because young man, even if he is an enemy, a dead or dying person must be treated with respect. It's a rule, like not harming a wounded person, giving water to whoever asks for it, and so on."

"I see...but time has changed hasn't it?"

Karikalan listened to their conversation in silence. The spark in his eyes seemed to have died off.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

(A/N): This is a short chapter I was planning to write since December last year. Maybe I need more practice in writing war scenes?

Glossary:

Arakkan- Demon

Vetri Namade!- Victory is ours!

Vaal- Sword

Vel- Spear

Pandiyar Chinnam- Symbol of the Pandiyas

Meen Kodi- The banner with the fish (Pandiyar flag). 

Paatanar- Grandfather

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══