The Special Olai | Arulmozhi-Vanathi

(A/N): This chapter is partly based off from this scene from PS-1:

In the movie, the letter features a Thevaram written by Thirugnanasambandar

But here, it is different :)

@miyameharin requested a chapter for Vanathi, so here it is!

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

Vanathi sat at a beautiful wood-carved desk in her room. From the desk, she could see the night sky. It was a clear summer night and one could see lots of stars.

Probably her beloved Yaanai Paagan would be seeing these same stars from somewhere else.

She took out a olai and a Peacock-feather quill. But words deserted her. What can she write?

"Hmm..." She hummed while looking at the golden flame dancing on a brass elephant oil lamp. It reminded her of his golden body.

She scolded herself for getting distracted, and finally after what seemed like a long time, started writing in the olai.

To Ponniyin Selvar,

I have committed two sins. First, this orphan called you, the beloved of the Chozha people, a Yaanai Paagan without knowing who you truly are. Second, I overheard your esteemed older sister, Ilaya Piratti Kundavai's conversation with Vallavarayan Vandiyathevan. You might have also met the latter at the time of reading this olai.

Vanathi paused. Would Vandiyathevan help her? As a matter of fact, she didn't completely overhear them, all she knew was that Vandiyathevan would deliver a letter from Kundavai to Arulmozhi. Who knows? They probably might have discussed a lot of important things.

She (Vanathi) took Vandiyathevan aside and asked if he could deliver a letter from her to Arulmozhi. The young warrior cheerfully accepted, while trying to stifle his laughter, as Vanathi blushed when she mentioned Ponniyin Selvan. "How embarassing!" She thought and continued writing.

Ilavarasare! This coward does not have the courage to ask for your forgiveness in person. I am not worthy of even talking to you! All I wish is to ride on a elephant with you. I shall be happy for the rest of my life, regardless of you marrying me or not.
Swami! I find you everywhere, be it in the moon or even an elephant. I feel that when you forgive me, that is day when all these illusions shall stop. Please help me and forgive me!
I shall pray everyday for your safety and for your victory in the battle.

Tears were now slowly forming in Vanathi's eyes. Why these tears, even she did not know. She signed the olai with her name and kept it aside.

She lay down on her bed and looked up on the ceiling. Even there she could see Arulmozhi Varman's smiling face. How innocent that smile was!

•••
The next day, Kundavai and Vanathi went to the hospital. She (Kundavai) was to send someone from the hospital and Vandiyathevan to get herbs from Kodiyakkarai.

At the hospital, Kundavai was busy speaking to the chief doctor and his son, Pinagapani, while occasionally glancing at Vandiyathevan.

Vanathi suddenly looked at Vandiyathevan, who was standing at a corner. The latter nodded and quickly but silently walked to the Kodambaaloor princess. The Princess gave a olai to the Vaanar warrior, who received it a quickly went back to his original place. Vanathi mouthed a 'Thank you' to him. He smiled.

All of this happened without Kundavai knowing.

•••
(A few weeks later, at the Chozha campsite in Eezham)

A fire blazed merrily in the campsite. No one was to be seen, except the young tiger, Arulmozhi Varman.
His new friend, Vandiyathevan, had brought two letters to him. One was an olai from his akka and the other was 'a special olai'.

"It's probably the best if you read this olai when you are alone at night, Ilavarasare." Said Vandiyathevan with a wink to Arulmozhi.

Now all alone, the prince unwrapped to olai. The handwriting was an unfamiliar one but still felt warm to his heart.
As he read the special olai, he started to guess who wrote it, and at the end his guess was correct.

"Ah, Vanathi! Little does she know that she is not letting me sleep too!" He whispered to the fire and looked up to the star studded night sky.

Probably his beloved ilavarasi would be watching these same stars from somewhere else.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

(A/N): Here is the Thevaram in Vanathi's letter (PS-1)

தோடுடைய செவியன் விடையேறியோர் தூவெண்மதி சூடிக்
காடுடையசுட லைப்பொடிபூசிஎன் உள்ளங்கவர் கள்வன்
ஏடுடையமல ரான்முனைநாட்பணிந் தேத்தஅருள் செய்த
பீடுடையபிர மாபுரம்மேவிய பெம்மானிவ னன்றே.

Thodudaiya seviyan vida eriyor thuvenmathi soodi
Kaadudaiya sudalaippodi poosiyen ullamkavar kalvan
Edudaiyamalaraan munai naadpanin ththa arul seytha
Peedudaiya piramaapuram meviya pemmaanivananre.

Meaning: The Lord who wears a earring the Lord who rides the Holy Bull (Nandhi), the crescent moon adorns his head, the Lord who smears the ash from crematorium grounds, the thief who stole my heart! Brahma seeks his blessings, He is the Perumal who resides at Piramapuram (Seerkazhi)

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══