Yaanai Paagan | Arulmozhi-Vanathi

Vanathi was walking in the Thanjavur palace gardens. Arulmozhi Varman, the young Chozha prince, was going to Eezham with a massive army to wage war against Mahindan, the king of Eezham. Vanathi had never met Arulmozhi, the one who all elders said would marry the Kodambaaloor princess.

She passed by Kundavai's thozhigal, who were giggling and talking about the famed handsomeness of the young tiger. Vanathi ignored them and sat on some steps leading to the Kaveri's river bank.

Vanathi, who was an orphan, took refuge in thinking about her future son. Her imaginary son then came. "Amma! Who is my father?" He asked. Vanathi turned to look at the voice, but to her surprise, she couldn't see her son, but a mahout trying to feed an royal elephant in vain at a distance.

Memories ran fresh in her mind.

That nest of baby birds.

That godlike Yaanai Paagan.

His smile.

The way his face changed when Vanathi introduced herself.

Him swimming in the riverbank.

"Chi!" Vanathi thought. When Kundavai and other elders wanted to marry her to Arulmozhi Varman, how could she think of a Yaanai Paagan? Wouldn't it be like betraying Arulmozhi? Wouldn't Kundavai akka feel sad? The Ilaya Piratti was generally opposed of royal people marrying commoners.

A maid walked towards the princess. "Devi, the Ilaya Piratti has summoned you." She said. Vanathi thanked her and walked towards Kundavai's palace.

•••

Kundavai took Vanathi and seated her at a makeup table. "What should I do, Akka?" Asked Vanathi. "You and the other girls will be given a Aarthi thattu, and you are going to do Aarthi to the prince." Came the reply.

"That's all fine Akka, but why this makeup? It's ok.." Said Vanathi. "Kanne, you are special to me. Besides you are going to marry my brother! Shouldn't you look good?" Asked Kundavai. Vanathi remained silent as Kundavai did the former's hair and was now applying mai.

"What were you doing in palace gardens?" Queried Kundavai. "I was looking at a elephant." Said Vanathi.

"Oh! Arul Varman is an expert at handling elephants!"

"Really?"

"Yes. You have never met him right?"

"It's true akka."

"Well, today you will!"

•••

Later...

Vanathi stood expectantly with a Aarthi thattu in her hands. The other princesses looked excited.

Suddenly, the loud thump of drums were heard. Horns were blown. Arulmozhi Varman came out of the palace. He was in his late teens and majestic looking. There was a hibiscus behind his ear, Durga Parameshwari's blessing for a victory.

Flowers were showered on him The princesses started taking his aarthi. When Vanathi saw Arulmozhi for the first time up close, her heart skipped a beat. Her mind was in a dilemma.

He's the Yaanai Paagan! No, he is the prince. No.

The Yaanai Paagan and the prince. Both were the same man.

Aha! She had commited such a big error! She had once upon a time called the prince a mahout, without knowing who he truly is. How could she ever ask for his forgiveness?

The world started spinning. Vanathi swooned and fainted. The aarthi thattu fell down with a twang. Arulmozhi Varman looked back to the sound.

Kundavai ran and with the help of someone else, managed to take Vanathi to a bedroom. On her way, she heard some elders talking . "Look Ilamvazhuthi! The aarthi thattu has fallen down. The prince may not be successful in his expedition." Exclaimed one. "But look! The fire might have fallen down, but it has not gone out. He will be victorious, mark my words." Replied another.

•••

Vanathi woke up. Her head was resting on a lap, and her hair was being affectionately caressed by a soft hand. She looked up to see Kundavai, who smiled. Vanathi's heart felt warm, she might've always called Kundavai as akka, but the Chozha princess treated the Kodambaaloor princess like a daughter.

They were being surrounded by Kundavai's other thozhigal. At the very back, two princesses, Varini and Mandakini were discussing Vanathi's fainting with hatred. They thought it was all an act.

Suddenly a manly voice spoke behind them. "Excuse me, princesses." The two girls turned back to see Arulmozhi Varmar himself. They blushed and gave way, so did the other girls.

"Akka, how is your friend now?" He enquired. "She is fine now Thambi. Her father, the Kodambaaloor Siriya Velar attained a warrior's heaven on the Eezham battlefield. She must've fainted thinking about him." Replied Kundavai.

"Oh! So is she the Kodambaaloor princess, Vanathi Devi?" He asked smiling.

Vanathi looked into Arulmozhi Varman's eyes.

He remembered.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

(A/N) : These two have a bit of a backstory. I would like to clear something about Vanathi, she didn't love Arulmozhi Varman for the throne. She loved him truly.

Glossary:

Yaanai Paagan- Mahout

Thozhigal- Female friends. Pural of 'Thozhi'.

Aarthi- A ritual

Aarthi Thattu- A plate for taking aarthi

Mai- Kohl

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══