Araki | Karikalan-Nandhini

(A few years before Ponniyin Selvan started)

Aaditha Karikalan was sitting on a stone bench. His eyes were fixed on Arulmozhi practicing with a sword, but his mind was elsewhere.

Nandhini...

It had been quite a few years since he first met her, and his love for her kept growing. Even she was in love with him.

But Karikalan didn't see his Nandhini for a week now.

Where was she? Why hadn't she come? Was she sick?

It was then he heard the sound of anklets behind him. Karikalan turned to the sound, feeling excited. But to his slight disappointment, it was just his sister Kundavai.

"Anna, Paati called you to meet her." Said she. Karikalan rose up and called to Arulmozhi "Thambi, continue practicing. I will come back in a moment." "OK Anna!" Replied Arulmozhi.

As they were going to the Periya Piratti's palace, the siblings met Maduranthaka Thevar. He was the Periya Piratti's son and an adrent devotee of Perumal. He was very handsome, with a touch of a feminine look and wore Thiruneer on his forehead and Rudraksha beads on his neck and wrists. He was a year older than Aaditha Karikalan.

"Oh! Do you both know where Arulmozhi Varman is?" Asked Maduranthakan. "Yes chittappa! He was practicing sword fighting by the river bank." Replied Kundavai. Unlike Aadhithan and Arulmozhi, Maduranthakan had absolutely no experience in fighting, usage of weapons and horse riding.

"Hm. And Karikala, Amma was looking for you." Said Maduranthakan. "We are going to meet her, chittappa." Came the reply. They parted.

(At the palace)

The Periya Piratti, Sembiyan Maadeviyaar, was sitting on a throne. But she had a simple demeanor. She wore her quickly graying hair in a knot and adorned a white saree. Her forehead was resplendent with the Thiruneer and instead of gold, she wore Rudraksha.

As soon as she saw Karikalan, she rose up. Karikalan walked quickly to her and payed his salutations. Kundavai ran behind her paati.

"Karikala, Kundavai told me about Nandhini and you." Started Sembiyan Maadeviyaar. Karikalan's heart skipped a beat. Nandhini and him? Would it be good news? But... Kundavai had always hated Nandhini. What really had happened to Karikalan's Kanmani?

Sembiyan Maadevi stepped forward and placed her wrinkling hands on her grandson's shoulders. "Aadhitha, you know very well that I care for you. However, you are going to be the next Chakravarti of the golden Chozha kingdom. Nandhini is a ordinary priest's daughter. A royal and a commoner can never marry each other, it only causes problems to kingdom. Therefore, forget her. It is for your own good." She said. Kundavai avoided eye contact with Karikalan.

Karikalan curtly bowed his head and walked away quickly to his room.

A swirl of thoughts ran across his mind. His respect for Sembiyan Maadevi and Kundavai slightly dropped. Who said she was a commoner? With just one nod of her head, he could bring all of the world's queens to wash her gentle feet. Who wanted this kingdom? He and his beloved would travel to any place she wanted. He reached his room.

Nandhini...Nandhini...Nandhini...

Her name, her smile, her eyes. It all flashed across his mind. He took a small brass lamp and threw it at a mirror. As the mirror shattered into pieces, Kundavai rushed in.

"Anna!" She shouted. And she paused.

She saw her anna's eyes to be wet. "Go away!" He said.

"I did this for your own good, anna." She said and ran away.

•••

(PS present timeline. Aadhitha Karikalan is 26 years old)

Karikalan deeply drank a cup of somarasam. How much ever he drank, he couldn't forget her and that head.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

Glossary-

Paati- Grandmother

Periya Piratti- Older Princess

Perumal- Lord Siva

Thiruneer- Vibhuti

Rudraksha- Beads which are sacred to Lord Siva

Chittappa- Father's younger brother (Maduranthakan is Sundara Chozha's cousin)

Kanmani- Gem of the eye, someone very dear, an affectionate term.

Chakravarti- Emperor

Somarasam- Wine

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══

(A/N)- I watched PS-1! It's so good! In the last line, the head refers to Veerapandiyan.

══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══