distant

In this oneshot, Mike and Will don't really talk to each other. It's set after season 3 and they never really made up after that fight in the rain. Will never moved.

Mike shoved his way through the crowded hallway. He barely got any sleep last night and didn't feel like getting in trouble for being late. He already did twice this week.

As fast as he could, Mike got to class and took a seat. He side glanced to two boys sitting diagonally behind him. They began to whisper and it was too easy for Mike to hear. It wasn't eavesdropping if they were making it audible to everyone around them, right?

"Isn't that Byers friend?" The one boy said. And Mike immediately knew they were talking about him. "Yeah I'm pretty sure. You know Will's dad is back in town?" He said.

Mike sat up and began to listen in. He didn't care if it was rude. He turned his head a little to pick up more of the conversation. "And we all know what he does to Will." He continued. "What's he do?" The first boy asked.

"Shit man I don't know. Punch him? Kick him? Whatever the hell leaves those bruises all over Will. I know he's a queer and all but some times I feel bad for him. That shit can't be easy, getting bullied at school and at home."

"Damn." The other kid replied. "How do you know he's back in town? What if it's just a rumor?" He asked. "Trust me, it's true. If Lonnie Byers was back in town, everyone knows. That man is a total shit show."

Mike turned back to his normal position. Why the hell didn't Will tell him?

Class went by and as soon as the bell rang Mike rushed to the math hallway. Even though him and Will barely talked, he still managed to figure out his classes.

Whether it was just from seeing him in the hall or talking to Max about it. He saw the back of Dustin's head and realized Will and Lucas were right next to him.

Mike ran up beside Dustin. "Hey." He said. Dustin gave a quick hi back and continued talking. Lucas nodded at Mike and Will didn't even acknowledge him.

"Will can I talk to you for a second?" He asked. Will finally looked up. "I have to get to class." He replied. "It's lunch." Mike said and Lucas laughed. "You should really work on your lying Byers." He said, walking off with Dustin, leaving Will no choice but to face Mike.

"Um I don't mean to be rude but can you make it fast? I promised Lucas and Dustin I would help them study for their test next period." Mike nodded towards the janitors closet next to them. Will sighed and walked in first.

Mike took a quick glance at the hallway, where everybody had left, and then slipped in the small room. It wasn't very big at all. It had a few mops and buckets in the corner and a huge cabinet on the wall which was most likely filled with other supplies.

Mike shut the door and slowly turned towards Will, who was standing in the middle of the room, a tight grip on his backpack straps. Will gave Mike a look that told him he needed to start talking already.

"Why don't you help me study for tests anymore? We always used to help each other out." Mike said. Will sighed and started playing with his fingers, eyes staring down at the floor.

"H-honestly I didn't really think you wanted anything to do with me. We haven't talked in months."

"Shit, I'm sorry. That's my fault an-"

"Yeah. Yeah it is your fault. You became distant. You still talk to Lucas and Dustin and Max and El of course. Why don't you talk to me? What did I ever do?"

"No, Will you didn't do anything. It's me, I'm having my own problems."

"Your own problems? Problems that make you avoid your best friend for 3 months?" Will said, a questioning tone. Mike could hear a bit of hurt in his voice.

"Yeah, Will. You wouldn't understand!"

"Oh I wouldn't understand?" Will said, taking a step back.

Mike nodded, also taking a step back. He could tell Will was keeping tears back from him. It's a horrible thing to say, but Mike has gotten use to this expression of hurt on Will's face. It was always there and no matter what he couldn't escape it.

Every time Mike made Will look that way he stayed up at night for hours thinking about it. What he could've said better, how differently he could've acted.

But one thing was different about this expression, there were no tears. Will used to be okay crying in front of Mike, because Mike didn't judge, he didn't care. Will couldn't even help himself.

He'd just break down because he was comfortable in the presence of the other boy. But now Will has changed and he no longer has that sense of comfort. That's why he will not cry in front of Mike Wheeler even if it takes everything out of him.

And Mike knew that, and it scared him. You scared him away.

Will noticed Mike wasn't talking and decided to speak up himself. "You're kidding me Mike. Out of all people, I would understand the most. I've always been here for you. Even if you supposedly say that I wouldn't be able to understand, I would still try. Which is way more than what most people can say."

"I will always try with you. I always have but I am starting to give up at this point. I wanted to be there for you but you didn't even want me there. Do you even need me anymore?"

Mike's eyes shot up from the floor to look at the smaller boy. "Will don't ask that."

"Ask what?"

"You know I need you."

"I don't know anything about you anymore."