Moving Forward

Merlin walks to Arthurs chambers ready to start the day, but to his surprise Gwen opens the door just as he walks towards the door. She smiles and its as if she has some sorrow behind the smile.

Gwen: Your robes look lovely Merlin.

Merlin: Thank you...

Gwen leaves.

Merlin confused enters the room to see Arthur sat at his table head resting on his hand.

Merlin: Is... Everything alright?

Arthur lifts his head.

Arthur: Merlin...

Merlin: Gwen looked really sad when she left just now, has something happened?

Arthur sighs and rests back on his chair.

Arthur: We've come to a mutual agreement... We are to separate.

Merlin slams his hands on the table.

Merlin: What?! But why?!

Arthur looks up at him and gives a faint smile.

Merlin: Weren't you happy?

Arthur: I was... And so was Guinevere. But people change.

Arthur stands up and stretches.

Arthur: Weve had a long talk about it Merlin, we're okay. We're still friends, Guinevere just doesnt desire to be queen. We agreed our time together was fruitful, but it would be better us remaining friends.

Merlin cant believe what he's hearing, he can sew that Arthur is being genuine, but its a big shock all the same...

Merlin: If you're sure you are happy my lord.

Merlin smiles and pulls out a chair.

Merlin: You must eat my lord.

Arthur smiles and sits down at the table and begins to eat.

Merlin: So is Gwen not queen anymore?

Arthur: She will remain in the position until we figure out how to break it to the people, until then I told her she is free to do as she pleases, she no longer has to be present in council meetings.

Merlin: It's strange its come to this... Are youre sure you're happy?

Arthur: I'm glad we both spoke our mind. Stop worrying Merlin, we aren't, children.

Merlin nods.

Arthur: Whats on the agenda today Merlin?

Merlin: Nothing much my lord a small meeting, then the rest of your day is free. Whilst youre in the meeting I shall polish your-

Arthur: Ah! Stop... You're forgetting something.

Merlin tilts his head, Arthur then proceeds to hit the back of his head.

Merlin: OW?!

Arthur: Youre part of the court now you bafoon!

Merlin: ohhhh yeh...

Arthur rolls his eyes.

Arthur: God help me.. Lets go.

Merlin laughs nervously and follows.

~~~~~~~~~~~

After the meeting which involved people coming out using magic in the lower town freely and happily, but also questions as to where the Queen was.

Arthur, Merlin and Gaius are walking out the court.

Gaius: You cant hide the truth forever Arthur.

Arthur: You know?...