𝗷𝗶𝘂 | glass into stone | 𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥

Reader Is: Neutral Age (Fantasy AU)
Categories: Angst, Fantasy, Romance
Summary: The reader finally gets to connect with Princess Minji, but everything is not as it seems.

Everyone at the ball was stunning in their best attire, but you had eyes only for Princess Kim Minji. The Princess looked breathtaking in the black ball gown she'd chosen, a piece sure to turn heads with its shocking hue – the other ladies wore only pastels, you included.

It was unlike Minji to choose something so striking. Usually, she wore white or gold, always opulent and dripping with jewels. You supposed that was why she made your heart race even faster than normal, because you were so enchanted by the fresh look.

It made you blush just to be near her. You'd always had a crush on her, but nothing would ever happen with that, you knew. She was too busy courting properly with foreign princes while you feigned interest in the young men that asked you to dance.

At the moment, you were doing just that, if only because you hoped to end up somewhere near Princess Minji and admire her a little more closely. You did need to greet her and thank her for the ball invitation, after all.

But she was hard to get ahold of – it seemed that someone had truly captured her interest, and you knew better than to interrupt that.

It was too bad, really, that you would never have a chance with her. You were just pondering that sadly when a high, gentle voice spoke up from behind you. "Good to see you, My Lady."

"Ah, Your Highness!" You whirled around at once, skirts and capes a swishing bustle. "Thank you for the invitation. I've had a wonderful time."

"As have I thanks to your presence, My Lady."

You blushed at Princess Minji's words, even though you knew deep down that they were only formalities. The sweet smile on her face always seemed to indicate more, however.

But then again, maybe you were wrong.

"I'm glad to see you here," Minji continued. "I was wanting to talk to you."

"O-Oh! Yes, Your Highness?"

"Perhaps we can find a place more private...?"

"Oh...! Y-Yes, Your Highness, whatever you think is suitable!"

"Shall we head to the gardens, then?"

"Yes, Your Highness."

You followed Minji through a short hallway leading to glass doors, which brought you right out into the beautiful royal gardens.

It was Minji's pride and joy; a place she had designed almost entirely by herself. Enormous white gazebos, every one of them lit, provided shady places to sit. Fruit trees and bushes were mixed in with flowering ones to make the gardens both pretty and practical. Flowers lined all the stone paths, which Minji led you down to one of the gazebos.

Your heart was racing appropriately, as you had no idea what the Princess could possibly want. You held your tongue, though, and simply waited for her to speak.

"Lovely night, isn't it?" she hummed.

"Y-Yes, Your Highness." You cursed her internally for not getting right to the point.

"You look as beautiful as the stars, My Lady."

"I – oh! I – I'm s-sorry? Ah, forgive me, Your Highness, I must have misheard—"

Minji giggled, covering her face with a black, lacy fan so that you could only see her eyes forming sweet-looking crescents. "I said, 'you look as beautiful as the stars, My Lady.'"