Chaper 33

Chapter 33

After Shane had told everyone that there was no chance of finding Sophia, we all reacted differently. Most of us were losing hope but still no letting it on that we expected the worst. A few days ago I would have had hope but right now I couldn't imagine Sophia surviving on her own for this long.

Daryl and Carol were, probably, the only ones who held out pure hope that we would still find her, and I; even with my hope, was starting to feel like this was a failed mission. I didn't dare breathe a word to Daryl.

While everyone was trying to figure out what to do about the barn Walkers, I sat on top of the RV just watching. Just trying to keep an eye on everything, watching Rick as he made his way to the farm house to talk to Hershel. As if that would do anything good.

Shane ended up being the last one at the barn, he couldn't take his eyes off of it. Even with the distance between us right now I still felt like I was in danger, especially when his eyes traveled and met mine. They didn't leave me until Rick made his way out of the house over to Shane.

I couldn't tell what they were saying but it was getting heated, I knew where both of them stood on this issue. I couldn't make up my mind about it. The Walkers have been here the whole time and we didn't even know it, how did no one figure this out? I'm trying to understand, the Greene's way of thinking. They haven't been out there like we have, they can't possibly understand, but to think that these things are just sick, still people, is absurd. If only that was the case.

The thing is though, it's the Greene's land, we don't have a day what they do with their barn. I'm on Rick's side with all that but, I hate to say it, I also see Shane's; it's not safe.

I looked over as the ladder rattled, Carl was making his way up, "what ya doing little man?" I asked him as he said beside me, his legs hanging off the side of the RV.

"Do you think Shane's right? Do you think Sofia is dead?" He asked, making sure not to make eye contact with me. I was taken back, I had a feeling that we wouldn't find Sophia but I couldn't tell him that.

"No, Carl, it's bullshit. I think there's still a chance, Daryl found her doll remember?" I assured him softly, putting my hand on his shoulder, "we just have to try to keep up the hope, especially for Carol."

"Do you really believe that? I know I'm just a kid but you don't have to lie to make me feel better," as he spoke my heart started to break, this kid definitely sees more than her let's on.

"No buddy, I think she's still out there," I told him, now feeling even worse for continuing to lie but what else could I have done? "Why don't you go find your mom," I told him as I ruffled up his hair. He gave a quick smile before he made his way down.

A few seconds later, Glenn started making his way up, can I not get a moment alone? I sighed in annoyance as I stood, my plan was to hide away in Daryl's tent for a little bit but my thoughts stopped when I realized Glenn was alone.

Where's my brother?" I asked him. Grayson has barely left Glenn's side, where else would he be?

"I don't know, I haven't seen him since this morning," Glenn shrugged as he took the lawn chair. As he spoke I felt as if a rock has settled in the bottom of my stomach, something was wrong, very very wrong.