Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Rick held Lucy in his arms as he ran towards the house the man told them about. The man that shot Lucy, the one that could have possibly shot Carl. Rick was angered at the thought of it being Carl in his arms. Shane had Carl on his back as they ran, the heavy set man started to fall behind but Shane wasn't going to let him.

"Hey, you move, dickhead! Come on, get us there!" Shane screamed pulling on the man's arm.

"How far? How far?" Rick cried, he couldn't let Lucy die, she just saved Carl's life. Rick knew it was a debt he could never repay, but he sure as hell was going to try.

"Another half mile, that way! Hershel, talk to Hershel-- He'll help the girl. I'm sorry," the man cried out as he fell to his knees, Shane wasn't having that either. He grabbed his arm again and pulled him to his feet as Rick ran ahead in said direction.

"Let's go-- Come on!" Shane growled. Rick ran, finally coming upon a house. Maggie was sitting out on the front porch when she saw him, she was surprised by what she saw as she rose to her feet to get a better look at the man running her way. 

"Dad!" She cried out, as her family made their way onto the porch, Rick was making his way up their lawn, his arms only now starting to go numb.

"Was she bit?" Hershel asked, rather harshly but Rick had to much on his mind to care about how this man spoke to him.

"Shot, by your man," Rick gasped out. He wasn't listening to anything anyone said at the moment, he just followed them inside. Rick laid Lucy on a bed and took a single step away from her. He would give anything to see her bright green eyes in that moment, any sign that she was going to be okay. 

"Is she alive?" He asked, barely able to get the words out, she had to be.

"Pillowcase, quick," Hershel said completely ignoring the question but Rick persisted as he grabbed the pillowcase.

"Is-is she alive?"

"Fold it-- Make a pad. Put pressure on the wound," Rick did as told, Hershel looked for Lucy's heartbeat. It took a minutes but he found it, "I've got a heartbeat-- It's faint. I got it-- Step back," he told him but Rick wasn't their in mind at the moment.

"Maggie, IV," Hershel ordered.

"We need some space," Maggie said pushing Rick out of the way to find Lucy's vein.

"Your name?" Hershel asked as he worked away to save her life.

"R-Rick," he stuttered but they couldn't tell if thet heard him right.

"Rick?"

"I'm-I'm-I'm Rick," he repeated as he slowly came back to his body.

"Rick, we're gonna do everything we can, okay? You need to give us some room. Now," Hershel explained as everyone went to work to save Lucy's life. Rick slowly backed away from the scene in front of him as he heard Shane in the background. Rick could only imagine how Carl was taking this whole situation, did he even realize that it could have been him on that bed?

"Move!" Shane screamed as shs shoved the man forward. Shane saw red as he hurried to the house in front of him. Shane, since he first saw her, had a thing for Lucy, a one night kinda feeling towards her. In his eye she was fit and he wanted her more than he could ever want Lori. Now this prick may have ruined his chance.

They made their way into the house and could only stare at Lucy on that bed.

"Do you know her blood type?" Hershel asked and Rick felt like crying. He had no idea what her blood type was, it was the most important thing and he didn't know.

"She's -O, dad," Carl proclaimed as eyes shifted over to him, making him feel uncomfortable. "It came up when we were talking about before this, before Walkers. I told her about you getting shot and what type we were and she joked saying she wouldn't be a hell to anyone with her 'rare blood,' that she calls it." Carl was in tears as he spoke, thinking back to the time it was his own dad laying on a hospital bed or maybe it was seeing Lucy in this state.

"So what you're tellin' me is no one in this house has her blood type? If that's the case she has no chance of survival," he explained, the hope gone from his voice as he looked down at the girl in the bed.

"Her brother!" Carl screamed out suddenly, Rick immediately knew where Carl's train of thought was.

"Her twin brother! He must have the same type as her!" Rick called out as he rushed to the door but it was blocked by Shane.

"You need to stay here with Carl, I'll go get 'em," Shane told him but Maggie knew this wasn't going to go anywhere fast enough.

"What's her brothers name?"