Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Daryl and I sat side by side as he poked at the fire. Neither of us dared to speak. It felt like a cloud of darkness had fallen over us, mostly Daryl. When he let his emotions get the better of him, it seemed like he didn't know how to process it. So, instead, he would revert into himself. I wasn't sure how to help him, so I would just sit with him in silence.

I was thinking about heading to bed for the night when the sounds of footsteps started coming towards us. I looked up in fear only to see it was Carol.

"We can't find Lori - and the others aren't back yet either," she told us. Oh my God, there's no way Lori would be that stupid to go after Rick.. Never mind, of course she is.

"Yeah. That dumb bitch must've gone off looking for 'em," Daryl grumbled.

"What?"

"Yeah, she asked me to go. I told her I was done being an errand boy," he told her. It was obvious that Daryl just wanted this conversation to be over.

"And you didn't say anything?" She questioned him, but he didn't say anything. She looked from him to me, looked like she expected me to say something, anything. I gazed down at the fire, refusing to meet her eyes. She started walking away only to turn back to us.

"Don't do this. Please. I've already lost my girl." She begged him. She should have just kept walking.

In an instant, Daryl was on his feet, almost in her face. "That wasn't my problem, neither," Daryl spat at her, rushing off in the opposite direction.

"You should have kept walking," I told her, still not making eye contact.

"I was just trying to -"

"No. This whole time, he's been looking for your kid, trying so hard to bring her back to you, and you have the audacity to question him like that? He has given and done so much for this group, and none of you see him. At least not until you need something, so maybe just give him some space." I told her as I swiftly got up and went into the tent.

I tried to close my eyes and drift off to sleep, but it wouldn't come. I looked at the empty space next to me where Daryl normally was. 

I know I feel something for this man, but I couldn't put it into words. I know that we're friends, and I do care for him. I mean, we sleep in the same tent. Some morning when I wake up, his arm is thrown around my waist. It gave me butterflies. 

I know I care about him, like him? No, 'like' isn't enough, love? That still didn't feel right. It felt like way too much, but was it?

Hell, it's not like I even knew what real love was really supposed to be. I never had a boyfriend, and my parents definitely were not a good example. Even so, Daryl and I haven't even known each other long enough to fall in love.. right?